1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a drive interpretation

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Lynda Todon, Dec 10, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lynda Todon

Lynda Todon Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have a 3 1/2 inch floppy with some data on it from my 486 computer that i want to be able to download onto my pentium. I've tried loading the program for it "Microsoft Works" but it won't complete the installation. It keeps telling me that a file, "SHARE.EXE" cannot be found.
    When i try taking it from the a: drive and into My documents without the works program, it just pops up in hyroglyphics. Where will i get this share file? or how can i possibly read it?
    Lynda

2. PatInAz

PatInAz

What kind of file is it? Please give the extension. That's the part of the file name after the dot. It should be possible to read it into something you've got if we know that.

Do you have MS Office on your current system, and also what version of Windows is on it?

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi Lynda, welcome to TSG

What operating system are you running?

It appears that you need to load share.exe in your autoexec.bat file.....

Are you familiar with editing this file?

4. Lynda Todon

Hi,
    I am running windows 98 2nd edition. No i don't know how or where to get SHARE.EXE
    Lynda

5. Rockn

Rockn

What version of Works is it? Might not be compatible with Win98. Do you have the original installation disks or are you just trying to copy it from one PC to another?

6. Lynda Todon

Hi again,
    I have microsoft office on my computer but the file is from microsoft works. some of the files have .wps after them. Others just have the name i gave it with no extension.
    Lynda

7. ~Candy~

Microsoft Word should have no problem opening a .wps file......are you opening word first, then going to the file menu and locating the file?

8. Rockn

Rockn

"Hi,
    I have a 3 1/2 inch floppy with some data on it from my 486 computer that i want to be able to download onto my pentium. I've tried loading the program for it "Microsoft Works" but it won't complete the installation. It keeps telling me that a file, "SHARE.EXE" cannot be found.
    When i try taking it from the a: drive and into My documents without the works program, it just pops up in hyroglyphics. Where will i get this share file? or how can i possibly read it?
    Lynda"

Above it states you were trying to install MS Works....this program will not install on Win95 OSR2 because it doesn't support share.exe needed to run the program. Just transfer the .wps files to a diskette and MS Word will be able to open them just fine as long as it is version 3 or 4 of Works they were created with.

9. Lynda Todon

I have my files on a disk but word will not open them. They pop up as heiroglyphics.

10. Lynda Todon

My version of works is 3.0 and I am opening word first but just get heiroglyphics when i try to open my file.

11. Rockn

Rockn

Check you PM....email me a couple of the files and I'll take a look at them if you like.

12. ~Candy~

What version of Word are you running? Are you sure the files will open on the other computer with MSWorks installed?

And I see Rockn beat me to it, I was going to suggest the same thing.......

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61337

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice