1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A: drive not accessable The device is not ready

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by treefo, Oct 14, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. treefo

treefo Thread Starter

I am having a bunch of problems including the heading of this thread. I am a newbie who just built a new rig. My main problem is the floppy on this computer gives me this message when I try to use it. What I want to do is make a bootdisk for the new rig I built. I want to add EDIT.COM, the latest BIOS and possibly the drivers for the CDROMS I put in the new rig.
    My next problem is that I can't load 98SE on the new rig from my old boot disk because the drivers for the CD'S are for this existing computer. I can't load from the cd because the system doesn't recognize the CD as of yet. I am very frustrated because I $H!T a brick trying to build this and when I got to the part I thought would be simple came I got shafted.I really don't want to pay anyone to finish what I started, but I really don't have anyone that I know personally to help me. I really want to finish this myself for personal reasons and to be able to fix it in case something ever goes wrong.
    Any help is appreciated thanks!!!

2. treefo

treefo Thread Starter

I am in the process of installing 98se on my partitioned drive and can't get the floppy to install. I had just finished partitioning and formatting the drive, and now I want to install from floppy and it won't. I type "setup" nothing, I type "install" nothing. I was following the tutorial on pcmech.com on building a pc and got stuck at this step. I know I can't just put the cd to start up, because I haven't loaded my drivers for them, which I can't do so until I load up my os. Please help I'm drowning in this vicious cycle.
    This is the step I am getting stumped on, I'm very confused!

Make sure EDIT.COM is on your hard drive. It may be found on your system disk, your installation disk, or you may need to get it from another system. Copy this file to the new computer's C: drive.
    Install the CD-ROM Installation disk in Drive A:.
    To be safe, you might want to create a AUTOEXEC.BAT and CONFIG.SYS if they are not already there. You can do this by typing "EDIT CONFIG.SYS" then saving it empty. This will create the file, although it will be empty. Do the same for AUTOEXEC.BAT.

Run the Install program. Usually you type either "a:install" or "a:setup". It will copy necessary files, and modify your CONFIG.SYS and AUTOEXEC.BAT. Just follow the prompts. All install programs are different. When this is done, reboot.
    Check the system files. You can EDIT them or type "type config.sys". The line will look something like "DEVICE=C:CDPROVIDE-CDD.SYS /D:MSCD001". In the AUTOEXEC.BAT file, it may look like "C:WINDOWSCOMMANDMSCDEX /D:MSCD001 /V". The parameter after "/D" should be the same in both files. These lines will vary depending on your CD-ROM and files locations.

If you want to change the drive letter of the CD drive, add "/L:F" at the end of the line referencing the CD-ROM in the AUTOEXEC.BAT file. Change "F" to the drive letter you wish the CD-ROM to be.
    Test your work. Reboot. The CD-ROM should activate. Then stick a CD in the drive and try to read it by switching to the appropriate drive just as you would to read a floppy diskette. If it didn't work, then first check your AUTOEXEC.BAT and make sure it is leading to the correct location for the file MSCDEX.EXE. This file is necessary on all systems to make a CD-ROM operate in DOS.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172038

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice