'A' drive not working?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

patd

hello,

I downloaded the pro version of killdisk, thought this would be easy to use but I having problems with the floppy drive, I've never need to use it before this. I'm trying to copy the .exe to a floppy. I can't get past the first step of preparing a bootable floppy.

I've got a HP pavilion6835 with WinME ( I'm getting a new PC and want to clean this one up), the instructions:

Preparing a DOS-Bootable Floppy Disk
Windows 95/98/ME Operating System

1. Click the Start button and click Settings > Control Panel.
2. From the Control Panel screen, click Add/Remove Programs.
3. In the Add/Remove Programs screen, click the Startup Disk tab.
4. Click Startup Disk... and follow the screen instructions until the process is complete.

..When I try this, at the 'preparing startup disk files' it stops at 20% and a message
'disk initialization error, setup cannot properly initialize disk.
error disk sector not found.

also, if I put a disk in the A drive , it says it's not formatted and when I try to format,
it says that windows cannot format disk, either selected capacity not valid or disk damaged.

I bought a box of preformatted disks and tried more than one and the same thing happens.

Is there any other way to run the killdisk? Can I just start the killdisk.exe from my downloaded files?

Just for fun, look on the new disk box and make sure it doesn't say "MAC formatted". I've got a box I bought by mistake and my system tells me the same thing as yours when tried. Some day I'll meet someone that uses a MAC and I will give these away.

bearone2

Banned
put it in the a:, open in my computer or windows explorer, click on the exe file and it should run.

patd

Thanks junker39, it says 'pc formatted'.

bearone2, thanks for responding,

I feel dumb here, but how do I , 'put it in the 'a' ', I've tried to 'send it' to the 'a' but it keeps telling me the disk is not formatted. Can you explain for me,

thanks

Get a new floppy disk and put it in your drive
Right click and select format, making sure the capacity box reads;
3.5" 1.44mb, 512bytes/sector
Wolfey

patd

wolfeymole,

I have a new box of 10 MF 2HD, 1.44MB Maxell fd's, box says they are preformatted for PC's.
I've tried to format , with capacity set at 1.44mb, 3.5.
I've tried the quick method with error,
'you cannot do a quick format because disk is not formatted, its capacity does not match or no disk in drive (there was). click OK to do full format.

when trying 'full', error,
windows cannot format disk,either the selected capacity is not valid or disk is damaged.

Do you have a floppy that you can insert and see if the floppy drive is working? Is the light coming on when you place the floppy in? It could be the floppy drive has gone bad if you can't use a floppy that has worked before.

patd

Thanks Augie65,

I have never used the a: before but found an old disk laying around, 713kb,
and put it in at 720 capacity, it formatted ! I then put in one that I've tried before and it worked. I can't explain it. Thanks.

Thank you to all who responded .

patd

OK, now that the a: is working, with WinME, I'm trying to create a bootable disk, I went to the 'start up disk' and created one, now I have to copy the
'.exe' to this disk, when I try to 'send to' the a:, it tells me it's full but there is 422mb free.
any advice ?

thanks

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online