1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

"A" Drive on Presario Laptop does not recognize inserted disk

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by gbond, Feb 10, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. gbond

gbond Thread Starter

I have a Compaq Presario 700 which does not recognize when a disk is inserted. I have replaced the drive, and it show up in the hardware manager of Windows XP, but remains unfunctional.

I had heard that the change line was not functioning on the data buss, but what can I do to clear this problem up.

gbond :confused:

2. biosboss

biosboss

is this a realy old machine?
    clear CMOS.
    if that doesn't help, flash it, even if you only got the original firmware that came with it, but later is probably better....

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome, gbond. I'm assuming the drive worked before at some point in time, correct?

Flash the bios for a problem floppy drive??????????? Biosboss, I've been following a couple of your posts and your advice is just plain CRAZY at best :rolleyes:

4. biosboss

biosboss

accacandy,
    are you looking for an argument or helping people solve problems?
    gbond,
    you have already replaced the drive, as people can read, your hardware and your OS recognizes it. Now someone already said you have problem on the data bus. BIOS is the first place to look for Input/Output settings that may offer solution to this.
    PS:does this sound crazy to you?

5. ~Candy~

Helping is fine. Suggesting something so drastic as flashing a bios without knowing more facts is dangerous at best with an older system, and if you don't know that.....then you should change your handle to something other than biosboss :rolleyes:

Be warned. Other members have been reporting your advice as well.

6. biosboss

biosboss

sorry gbond, there is something I have to explain=

a.) refreshing(reflashing)the firmware is an essential basic and necessary procedure, especially on older boards with on board controller problems.

b.) personally, I feel comfortable as BIOSBOSS, although always learning, and having enough experience to back it up with.

c.) I share my wast expertise freely and in good will. Any
    insults suggesting my advice being drastic or dangerous are unfounded.

ok, we are not alone!
    after you flash the bios, load SETUP defaults, than go in and toggle some switches.
    Do a search on Web for compaq keyboard controler softpaq for your model. Apparently, there was flawed microcode in certain models... ciao

7. pinntech

pinntech

Hello…

I ran into this discussion and found it somewhat interesting, especially the part about flashing the BIOS.

Granted, the BIOS should be kept up-to-date on any computer. However, I must ask in this instance, why in the world would a person want to flash their BIOS with the exact same version? How would that resolve a FDD issue? Or any issue for that matter?

Though, I can agree with the part about resetting the BIOS to default.

I have to agree with ACACANDY that it is not a good piece of advice. Not to resolve a floppy issue, not one that has worked on the system before.

To the problem at hand… Check out this link, it gives you the basic troubleshooting for FDD issues:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/...product=94435&lang=en&cc=us&docname=c00004171

If you will give me the exact model of your Presario, I will access the Compaq/HP Partner Tech website and see if there are any service notes or issues on that specific system.

Thanks and have a good one.

Shane

8. ~Candy~

Allow me to hand you a shovel ;)

As a side note, did you even give thought to the fact that the poster may be using the SAME floppy disk? And that the floppy disk itself may be bad??????? Or perhaps it has files that were copied from another floppy drive and as I'm sure you MUST be aware, given your 'wast expertise,' sometimes floppy drives have difficulty in reading floppies that were created on other computers ;)

9. biosboss

biosboss

flashing even with the original rom would ideally simulate a factory new condition. on an old unknown machine provide a refference starting point and hopefully some functioning settings.
    what are you guys, ever fixed anything?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/328786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice