A: drive problem

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

craigwp

Whenever I insert a disk into my A: floppy drive I get the following error.

"A:\ is not accessible
"No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk".

The disk drive worked fine until recenttly. I've read many other people are having the same problem and no one seems to have found the answer. Anyone have this problem and solved it?

windows xp sp-2
1 gig
80 gig hd plenty of space

Thanks in advance

Assuming you've tried this with NEW floppy disks and the disks work in other computers -- the problem is likely with the hardware itself.

Floppy drives are pretty cheap, if you need one, I'd replace it.

craigwp

tried a new one and same thing. My son developed a similar problem and searching the www I found a slew of people who all recently have developed the same problem. If I find it I'll post it here.:confused:

What is your drive reading in device mgr? CAUSES> bad hardware> power to> not set in c mos> conflict with other hardware> jumper setting> noot connected properly

Is the light on the floppy constantly? If so take the side of the case off, and then rotate the IDE lead 180 degrees. You could also try a floppy head cleaning kit, too. If all else fails, new floppy drives are less than $30 nowadays.

also fyi frank, there are no jumpers with floppy drives.

dustyjay

Jay
Floppy drives do not have an IDE connector on them, but the connector can be installed reversed. The red stripe should be on the same sode as the power connector for the drive.

Good Morning Chaps, what a pain in the neck kind of problem!
Obtain a bootable disk, (W98 or Me start disk would be ideal) check to see if the machine is set to boot with floppy, and see what happens in that circumstance.
If a normal boot to the A prompt can be achieved, that would indicate the floppy drive is OK. So where to then? Something has corrupted in windows, could this be a possibility?? (LOL) Nothing ever goes wrong with windows.
Try running Smartcop antivirus http://www.s-cop.com/free-scanner.html
Cheers, qldit.

The explanation for WHY this happens is technical, and I can't find the MS Knowledge Base article I read which described the problem, so I will explain it as simply as I can.

In a nutshell, some floppy disks are missing information that certain versions of Windows looks for. Older preformatted disks, even though they might never have been used previously, often return this error message. Though they work perfectly in both DOS and Windows 95 (which do NOT look for the missing information), they don't always work properly in other versions of Windows.

The solution is simple, if not aggravating: reformat the disk. Do a COMPLETE format on the disk; Windows will provide the missing information during the formatting process.

FWIW, the missing information is referred to as the "media descriptor byte", and the only other way to write this information to the disk is with a disk editor, which risks ruining the disk. Disk editors work at a very low level, writing directly to the media, and one mistake can make the disk unusable. Even worse, editing your harddrive data (when you THINK you're working on the floppy disk) can make your system unbootable, so I urge you to simply do a FULL format on the floppy disk, unless it has information you want to keep. In that case, you will probably have to boot a Win9.x system directly into DOS, unless you have a Win95 system available, or a computer running an old version of DOS, with or without Win3.x. You can use the old computer to copy the data from the floppy disk (make sure the data is intact), then reformat the floppy under any version of Windows 98 or newer.

Keep in mind that a QUICK format will NOT correct this problem; only a complete format will write a new media descriptor byte to the proper sector of the floppy disk.

Good luck with this; hope you have a Happy New Year.

craigwp

craigwp said:
Whenever I insert a disk into my A: floppy drive I get the following error.

"A:\ is not accessible
"No ID address mark was found on the floppy disk".

The disk drive worked fine until recenttly. I've read many other people are having the same problem and no one seems to have found the answer. Anyone have this problem and solved it?

windows xp sp-2
1 gig
80 gig hd plenty of space

Thanks in advance
Sorry for taking so long to report I just replaced the drive and all was fine. Strange as the drive was less than a year old. Never had a floppy drive go bad before. Device manager reported the device was working properly.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online