1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A dumb question about XP Pro

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by hayride2, Nov 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

Maybe someone can answer a question for me. A friends computer crashed and they were unable to get to the repair console and failed to make restore CDs. I have an XP Pro cd so I used it with no problems to get her up and running.

I have used it several times and I was wondering, does XP Pro not have to be validated like the home version does? I have used it on several computers with no problem until recently. Now I can't use it. Does it just quit working after awhile? My other desk top computer crashed and I wanted to install XP Pro again but it won't get past "starting installation" after checking the files.

I guess I shouldn't be using it on so many computers but I figure they are mine and so is the program so I should be able to use it without buying it again.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Did you do a repair install or a full reinstall?

3. Hughv

Hughv

I've done installs using my disk and the Key provided by the manufacturer (Usually present on a sticker attached to the machine).
    This comes up when people have misplaced the CDs that came with their machines, and I don't see any problem with it.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

No, it doesn't just quit working, you are most likely having a problem with that computer.
    And, using your XP install disk on other systems is fine as long as those other computers had valid copies of XP on them and you use the valid key on the sticker that belongs to each machine. In shop repair techs use that methodology all the time.

If you use the same key on each machine however, then after a while Microsoft is going to see that key is repeating and they may invalidate that key and then it will not work anymore.

5. hayride2

hayride2 Thread Starter

Number one, I was doing a clean install. Number two, I understand all that about using the key but the problem is I don't even get to that point. When the computer boots to the CD it first checks the computer and files, then it says, "starting installation". It is after that when I get an error in non-paged area fault. I don't even get to the point of entering a key, it just stops. This has happened on two different computers and that is why I was wondering if somehow it got "dis-abled" and wouldn't work anymore.

6. randy_california

randy_california

No, the disc didn't get disabled.
    It may be dirty or scratched if it doesn't work in other computers.
    Might try cleaning the disc with a mild dishwater soap solution.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/646485

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice