A duplicate name exists.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

waw

I keep having this message pop up:
Windows System Error- A duplicate name exists on the network.

How can I get rid of this annoyance?
I only have one computer. Have had it 4 months. This just started happening about 2 weeks ago.
HP a730n computer with Windows XP Home Edition

Hi,

Are you by change on a wireless network?

Previously posted by Steve Winograd, MS-MVP (Windows Networking)

That message is saying that your computer's name is the same as the
name of another computer on the network. The simplest solution is to
change your computer's name:

1. Right click My Computer.
2. Click Properties.
3. Click Computer Name.
4. Click Change.
5. Enter a new computer name.

waw said:
I keep having this message pop up:
Windows System Error- A duplicate name exists on the network.

How can I get rid of this annoyance?
I only have one computer. Have had it 4 months. This just started happening about 2 weeks ago.
HP a730n computer with Windows XP Home Edition

It is curious you would get this message when you only have one computer! While renaming the computer would solve the problem, I would also like to make sure there isn't something more going on.

For example, you wouldn't have an unsecured wireless network that someone else might be using?

Bob Cerelli said:
It is curious you would get this message when you only have one computer! While renaming the computer would solve the problem, I would also like to make sure there isn't something more going on.
If he's on a cable internet network, alot of times he could be getting that error becuase another system on the network has the same name as him.

On that note, you should make sure your not running file sharing and perhaps consider purchasing a router for proper security.

Daniel - YourTechOnline.com technician
[email protected]_spam_yourtechonline.com (remove no_spam_)

yto_daniel,

Could you explain that one in a little more detail? Hopefully you don't mean that everyone using a cable modem needs to have a different computer name.

It depends on how the cable internet system is setup, on the particular network I used to work for, which was using 500k zenith cable modems, it was basically just a gigantic lan over the cable network, and everyone on that particular system had to have a seperate computer name, if their machine was running file sharing, it was also against the acceptable use policy of that network to run filesharing without a router. So on some cable systems, yes, everyone may need to have a different computer name.

From the first post, this is not a gigantic lan over the cable network. It is just one computer.

umm, you misunderstand me, If he plugs into an cable internet system, some cable internet systems act exactly like a large lan, over the cable network. So it would be like plugging his system into a lan with hundreds of other computers, and one of those computers has the same name as his does.

Hopefully their cable company doesn't behave like that.

Just consider all the computers that come from a single major computer vendor that all have the same computer name. Would cause terrible havoc.

well, becuase he only has one computer, I would suspect that his internet company does behave like that. Otherwise he wouldn't be getting the error he's getting. but your right, I got calls every day about that problem when I was working for that company.

waw

I have renamed my computer once but still was getting the error message. I have renamed it again and so far the message hasn't popped up. Hopefully it won't. Thanks for you help.

So to help determine the source of the problem, what is your cable company to see if that is really the source of the problem.

Also, if that is the source of the problem, you can also try renaming the computer to something other people won't typically use, like your last name.

And are you on a wireless network?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online