1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a few basic questions..

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by turbo24, May 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. turbo24

turbo24 Thread Starter

or at least i figure they are pretty easy.....

I am used to using a HDD that is ATA/IDE (whatever) and have used the one cable to connect both HDD and DVD drive. I am going to change over to a SATA HDD, and was wondering a few things...

1. Can i use the same cable i have been using (for the DVD drive) even though there will now be an end that is not connected to anything or do i need to get a single device cable instead?

2. What do i set my jumpers for on the DVD drive now? leave alone or change them to be something else (i thinks its set to cable select now)

3. For the SATA drive, what do i put jumpers set to?

4. for SATA drive does it make any difference which of the four MOBO connection i use? do i need to use Number 1 or any? and why?

Please respond to my simple but honest questions....

2. norton850

norton850

1. Yes

2. It depends. If the jumpers are on cable select now they can probably stay that way.

3. No master/slave jumpers on SATAs. There are sometimes jumpers to limit drive size and to make SATA2 drives work with older SATA1 MBs. Don't mess with them unless you are having a problem. If so post here.

4. What is your MB or system brand and model.

3. turbo24

turbo24 Thread Starter

1 thru 3 - thank you
    #4 - its an intel DG965RY mobo

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/570381

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice