1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

..a few days after install of Maxtor Ultra SATA 160GB Hard Drive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mrebean, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrebean

mrebean Thread Starter

worked fine for a few days, moving files and adding new ones. then i used norton ghost to clone my main hard drive to the new maxtor. after reboot the system was VERY SLOW to boot and run programs, and i noticed a clicking sound from the new drive.

the drive is a maxtor ultra sata, and i used the maxtor sata/150 pci card to connect the drive.

any suggestions on what went wrong?

i uninstalled norton ghost and also reformatted the new maxtor drive, but the computer is still slow when it is connected. when i disconnect the drive, my computer runs fine.

any help / or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. and hope everyone had a safe holiday weekend :)

regards,

jOe

2. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi and welcome. Clicking sounds and hard drives are always bad news.

You might download the drive diagnostics from Maxtor's website, if you didn't get a floppy or cdrom with the drive. Test the drive and see what error reports pop up.

3. mrebean

mrebean Thread Starter

thank you for the welcome and the quick response :)

when i have the new drive connected, it takes say ...mabye 5mins to get to the welcome screen once booted, and another couple mins each for other actions, so it becomes very fustrating to try to test it.

i will give it a shot though. ive just been using the computer w/o the drive connected ever since the problem arose and i couldnt figure it out

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

5 minutes :eek:

Definitely sounds like a failing hard drive to me............the good thing about the Maxtor diagnostic software, is that it works from dos mode. You put it on a floppy disk, then reboot (change bios boot order to floppy drive first) and then it will run some diagnostics on the drive.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/234464

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice