1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A few pointers for Vista

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JamesM, Jan 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JamesM

JamesM Thread Starter

I have read an abundant articles and topics on different websites and forums whereby people are complaining that “Windows Vista destroyed my PC, My operating system has disappeared, and I cannot access my documents on Windows XP now I have installed Windows Vista, None of my applications will work, and I cannot play any games yet.” Does anybody actually read anything these days before jumping in feet first...?

1. First off all do not install an operating system on your machine unless your machine is compatible and powerful enough to handle Windows Vista.

2. I lost my operating system, if you install Vista first as your primary OS then Windows XP... Vista will not duel boot with Windows XP. It has to be the other way around, Windows XP as your primary OS and then install Vista afterwards, this will then duel boot with Visa as primary and then Windows XP. When installing software don’t worry about changing the drive letter to the drive you installed on because Vista will automatically call C:\ for both OS installed.
    3. None of my applications will work, you will find a lot of manufactures, and software developers are working alongside with Microsoft to develop compatible software updates for Windows Vista. Although some of you will think that developers are dragging their feet. I can assure it’s the complete opposite, Officially Windows Vista is not available until the 30th of Jan 2007, and therefore developers have a right to hold off on the release of their drivers until the 30th. Please bear in mind that not all manufacturers and software developers will upgrade all their hardware to make them compatible with Vista.

4. You can actually play games on Vista, and to be honest they run a lot faster, although I have read complaints from people who say that gaming on Vista is slower. Actually, gaming on Vista is much faster, I have tested around 20 top titles and they all work fine. At the moment there are only a small handful which have some issues. Don’t run STEAM because it runs a little sluggish.

Active listening skills and attention to details is very important when installing an OS check for hardware compatibility first before installing Windows Vista. Make sure your PC is capable of running Vista; if you do not pass everything then don’t bother installing it.

2. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

Hasn't it always been that way.

3. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Here's the easiest tip:
    Don't buy it. Wait for them to patch it first!

4. davehc

davehc Retired Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    David
    Your second para. There are now abundant "tricks to obtain the dual booting if you install the Os's the wrong way around. It just should not be approved as a good idea.
    A long while since my (now stable)installation, but , if I understood the last part of the paragraph, if you install Vista by inserting the disc whilst using XP (assuming XP is already on C:) then Vista will set itself up in D:, or your chosen partition, and remain so. It will still assert itself as the primary OS, however.
    Of course, drivers for Vista will now begin to flow abundantly on the web, but , in my particular case, I have all of my ex- xp software running without any hiccups, mostly without tweaking, but in some cases by using the improved, and very good, Program Compatibility wizard. I am not a game player so cannot comment on that.

5. JamesM

JamesM Thread Starter

Yeah I'm just pointing out the stupidity of some people who just jump in feet first without thinking ahead first. ANd yeah it has always been this way.

6. techy689

techy689

They have already placed all the patches they have found out on the Vista OS. The beta's I tried worked fine, and will work fine for you if you know what you are doing. Sure there will be more patches to come, but why should that stop you from getting the Ultimate experience for your computer. There are still patches coming out for XP, so are you saying people shoudn't have bought XP and still wait? Nothing in this world will ever be perfect, but everything does keep getting better. Microsoft wouldn't be launching Vista if it didn't work.

7. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

the main problem is user habits
    some like me never have any real os issues, some can screw up a toaster if they touch it. people visiting shady sites, pressing yes to any popup just to rid of it, running many apps on a system that cant handle the load....you all know the things i'm talkn about, we all know someone that is just a bad user period.

vista is alot better memory management now, it can relocate resources for a given task or game...no more disabling things to get that extra +5fps out of doom3 or whatever as now it wont matter, with good hardware anyway..its all up to video driver and hardware. its more of a strain on systems but its design for futureproofing, 2 gigs of ram wont be nothing in 3 years. plus plugging in a thumbrdrive for instant ram upgrade, great idea.

think about how much "horsepower" is wasted using xp or even linux..my core2duo/2gig/7900gt do nothing but sit there as i'm typing this, my cpu is idleing, video card is notta, ram...268mb's out of 2gigs!!
    some may see vista as a resource hog, i see it as something thats finally using a bit more of my hardware than previously and when i run a very intensive game or task, it will restructure things to make full use of it where its needed.
    everything new should be expected to be a bit buggy for a bit when it comes to making something for countless hardware/driver configurations

vista is alot more than an upgrade, its useing todays technology to expand how device interact and how people interact with a computer, were starting to see xbox syncing up with vista, television, cell phones, all commincating with eachother right out of box.
    for once we can install an os itself without a real need to download and isntall a ton of 3rd party apps to do various tasks

xp is so out of date, theres few reasons to keep it, think about how long it takes after a fresh install to get xp safe,reliable and fully useful to you, once there if you dont literally lock that drive something or someone will screw it up. i can only hope that ms will keep vista updated with something other than hotfixes, movie maker 2 and ie7 shouldve been out in 2002!

8. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

Experience has told me that with any software, including an OS, you're generally NOT getting the finished product straight out of the box. Some are worse than others. I could be mistaken here. If I am, I rescind my previous statement and apologize to all Microsoft supporters and Vista users.

9. buck52

buck52 Banned

Why do I need vista?

Will vista run Photoshop better for me than the 3.0 2gigs of ram XP machine I have or for that matter the 98SE 1 gig of ram I also have?

Why does anyone need vista?

Why would anyone without tons of computer savy and a spare machine risk installing vista at this point/infancy of vista?

Maybe the reason is I hate computer games... ;)

Maybe it's because I still do my check book with pencil and paper... ;)

Maybe I'm just an old fart... :)

buck

10. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Hi Buck.
    Maybe your maybe's are correct. But your sentiments are also correct. I was a Vista Beta tester, and am also an update freek. Hence I am now using Vista as my main OS. There is no reason for anyone to rush into Vista. If XP works for you, Vista , as a user, offers nothing extraordinary, so don't change. When you bear in mind that there are many users still perfectly happy with 98, or even 95, it emphasises your sentiments.

11. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Hmm... Why does anyone need XP? Why isn't everybody still using DOS?

"Bringing Clarity To Your World." :rolleyes:

LOL. :)

12. davehc

First Name:
    David
    Maybe it was the GUI that interested them.

13. MMJ

MMJ Guest

Them?

The main reason why people use new OS is because everybody else is. The new software is built for it, the new games are built for it, etc.

Also it is "better".

14. Doom_Machine

Doom_Machine

cripes buck, just use linux and be done with it, its free

i was splicing a telephone drop once, an old man came out, i mean mega old, chatted and mentioned "telephone?, phh, who needs a telephone" he kinda chuckled like it was stupid

15. PCG342

PCG342 Banned

... or it comes with their computer.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/535837

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice