1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A few questions about backing up music from a newb.

Discussion in 'Multimedia' started by MrBlonde2008, Oct 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. MrBlonde2008

MrBlonde2008 Thread Starter

First off thanks in advance for taking the time to read this and I apologize if it is a bit long.

Basically I have an ever growing collection of music on my computer and I am looking for a way to back it up/store it. I had considered buying an external hard drive but if it all possible I am interested in using DVD-RWs to get the job done.

With that said here are my questions:

First, Can I even store it on DVDs and do I need some type of special software? Under device Manager>DVD/CD-ROM drives it says I have

(Little cd on top of drive icon)_Nex DVD+RW ND-1100a
    (Little cd on top of drive icon) SAMSUNG DVD-ROM SD-616t

Would this suit my needs? I am not trying to play anything off these disc, just storing the music on them and shelfing them for future use.

Second, if I can even do this what is the process involved? Could I just drag and drop from My Music Folder or is some special software needed? Again I do not want to play the music from these DVDs but just store them and be able to put them into a copy and play/copy from the disc when need be.

Third, If the previous steps can be done will putting the music files on the disc and moving them between computers and what not damage the quality of the song?

Fourth, On average how many songs can be stored on a DVD in this manner?

And lastly, If all else checks out can anyone recommend me a particular brand of DVD to use that will suit my needs? So many out there it had me spinning in circles.

Thank you once more for taking the time to read my post and provide any help you can.

2. peterh40

peterh40

First Name:
    Peter
    Windows XP and Vista, have simple CD/DVD burning software built in but it is no good for multi-session discs . Its a write once type of process, you cannot add more files later.
    Yes, you can use the drag and drop method and then click the Burn button to write the files to disc. You can then use the discs on any other computer if you wish.
    If you want to avoid losing quality then avoid any lossy formats such as MP3 which may remove inaudible sections of music. A straight copy of files to/from DVD will not affect quality.
    An MP3 song can be 3Mb or more, so a DVD can store 4.3 GB or about 1,400 songs!

3. cwwozniak

cwwozniak Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

First Name:
    Chuck
    Your NEC ND-1100A is a 4X DVD+R/DVD+RW Burner. You may have some difficulty in finding compatible discs. First off, any kind of DVD-R or DVD-RW discs will not work.

Secondly, the blank DVD+R discs you commonly find in stores today are rated for burning speeds of 16x or faster. Your 4x drive may not be able to properly calibrate the burning power of its laser to burn a 16x rated disc at a 4x speed. This could result in failed burns and bad discs. I still have a 4x speed TDK brand burner in one computer at home. It sometime has troubles with burning 8x rated discs.

4. MrBlonde2008

MrBlonde2008 Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies, I guess I will just buy a small pack of DVD +R at first to test if they will work and if that fails an external hard drive might be the way for me to go on back up.

5. occamsspork

occamsspork

As has been mentioned, you can store it on recordable DVDS + or -, but as cwwozniak mentioned, your drive doesn't support -, so if you are dead set on backing everything up to disc, get the + type.

For burning in winxp, http://cdburnerxp.se/ is your friend if you don't want to pay for nero (the best out there for winxp in my opinion) or roxio.

Nero, roxio and any other burning program will usually have an option to set the burn speed, if the program didn't set it by default to your maximum drive speed. there is always a speed setting on the program, except for cheap commercial software or crappy free ones (avoid). I never burn any important data files on any but the lowest speed, as this helps to eliminate errors.

A quick heads up, all mp3\files are data files, to create a playable CD on a player that won't read data files it creates another type of data file (CDA) that is readable by most players except very old ones, therefore, in burning backup DVD\CDs (whatever format) ALWAYS use "burn data disc".

My personal suggestion is to get an external hard drive in the 40-50 gigabyte range or lower if that is within your budget, as you can just play songs off them, although if it comes to it you CAN play off your backup media (dvd) too.

How many gigs of music do you have? That might help me give you a better suggestion of whats in your best interest to do. :)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/758069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice