1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A few questions about image resizing.

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by BigDaveinNJ, Sep 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. BigDaveinNJ

BigDaveinNJ Thread Starter

Many times I will be surfing the web and find a picture I like. I will download it and save it. It is usually in JPG format.

Here is my problem. The image will be, like 800x600 in size. I will use IRFANVIEW to sesize it, choosing the option of HALF-SIZE. It will do this fine.

However... after resizing the picture and saving again as a jpg, the file size will quite often INCREASE. Often to a signifigantly larger file size than it was when the picture was bigger.

Why is that the case. Isn't part of the idea of resizing a photo to make it somewhat of a smaller file size?

Thanks in advance

DAVID

2. buck52

buck52 Banned

At the moment I have not reinstalled Irfanview but I believe it has a default save as of about 75 or 80 ... 100 being the biggest file... if you want a smaller file size just decrease/increase the compression to 50 or so

file size is also altered by any adjustments you make i.e. sharpening etc..

buck

3. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks Buck... Yes, IRFANVIEW does have settings to that effect. However, when I set it to, let's say, 80%, then the image seems to have some flaws in it. Then, to improve the image quality, I do make a few minor adjustments... and, like you said, the file size goes up.

You would think.... that the image could just be saved exactly the quality that it is, just making it smaller in visible size and also a smaller file size... without any quality loss.

I used to believe that if you tried to enlarge an image beyond a certain point, the image would degrade, but I am finding out sometimes even when you go smaller.... there are issues to.

In essence... what I want to do is...

Take an image, let's say 800 x 600, make it 400 by 300 while reducing the file size somewhat without a loss of quality. As I ahve said in here before... I am a novice at this... and I'm sure some of you guys are licking your chops to bust me about this.... lol Hey... I'm a slow learner. <gr>

Thank You

DAVID

4. buck52

buck52 Banned

Hi Big Dave

that is correct...

if you take an image that is 800x600 and reduce it by 50% the file size should be smaller without a doubt and the quality should be virtually the same...

how big an image are you starting with?

Not sure how you're going about it though

buck

5. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  6. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    just tried a file and it resized and filesize smaller

7. buck52

buck52 Banned

Howdy etaf

Irfanview uses the same Lanczos for resizing as Photoshop I believe

Big Dave make sure you are using the Lanczos filer when you resize with Irfanview

buck

8. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i used irfranviw to resize

9. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

lanczos is better for making larger. i personnally like b-spline for shrinking but pretty much all will work. also make sure you are saving to a good format. bitmaps are usually bigger. i personally like gif format at about 80% quality. resampling to 50% will most likely shrink the filesize.

10. BigDaveinNJ

Thanks... for all of your help. I will try some of the suggested programs and will use some of the tips that were reccomended.

Thanks again

DAVID

11. Guyzer

Guyzer

First Name:
    Guy
    Bigdave here is a fantastic re-sizer. Someone on this board pointed it out when I was getting frustrated with downsizing and I gotta tell you it's the easiest thing since someone invented the toaster. Give it a whirl...It's free.
    http://www.showyourphotos.com/photoresizer_free.html

12. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

aww but it costs money :(

13. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  14. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U

someone please try that out before i do. i dont like installing things if its a trial.

15. buck52

buck52 Banned

Don't like being a Guinea pig I guess...
    rather have someone else do it for you... :rolleyes:

buck

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/275399

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice