A few questions before installing an old Hard Drive into a new computer

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

robblah

Ok I got a new computer and I want to put an old (full) hard drive, Maxtor 32049H2 20GB into it instead of burning a ton of cds to transfer files, but I've been hesistant as I've never done it before and don't want to break anything. Sorry if this is long but I'm trying to be clear,
I need the jumpers set to "SLAVE", Correct? I looked on the website www.maxtor.com and clicked on my model on the top right, and it took me to a page which was not the model of my hard drive. Assuming it's meant to do this and the jumper settings are the same for both HD's, it says -
--
(Slave)
No jumper is required to configure the drive as a Slave.
The jumper over the J44 and J42 positions is in the jumper storage position.
--
Does this mean it will work as a slave with absolutely no jumper's on it?

Next step as i understand it is to do something to the BIOS, and then something about partitioning? Do I need the info on my hard drive, cylinders etc? Not quite sure about any of that at all, so any tips or help with those last steps would be appreciated.

I hope it's easier to do than I think it is!

robblah

Oops, one more question, if I did have the jumpers set wrong, what would happen? Would I be able to just take it out and fix the problem or would it cause harder to solve problems as in not booting up even after removing the old hard drive?

If you want the files on it intact, do NOTHING apart from connect it to a spare IDE cable in the new PC after setting the jumpers accordingly.

If you partition it all data is lost.

The BIOS will detect it without your intervention if the jumpers are right.

A computer has 2 IDE ports, primary and secondary (Port 0 and Port 1)
Each can only have 1 master and 1 slave per port, that is 4 devices all up.

It depends where any CD drive is connected as to which port you use and if you set the drive as master or slave.

The existing C: drive will be Master on IDE 0 (Primary port)
If the CD Drive is on the same flat cable, it will be a Slave, and you need the other cable. You may need to buy a cable in that case. It is not always installed if not used.
If you use an unused IDE cable, the hard drive you are fitting could be either master or slave, it will not matter.

If the CD (if you have one) is installed on Port 1 (Secondary port) then you should be able to fit the hdd on the spare plug on the existing HDD (Port 0) cable as slave.

If the web page says no jumper = slave then that is correct. It is that way on some of my drives.

If the jumper was wrong, it would stop the PC booting up in the worst case. I have many years age seen it scramble data on the main hard drive, but its very uncommon.

As always you should back up any critical data on the new PC, hard drives do fail and things do go wrong. But as it's a new PC, you probably do not have much one it?

crjdriver

If your system is new, it probably uses CS [cable select] If the cable that your hd connects to now uses color coded ends ie blue, black, and gray; then that is what you use. Set all devices to CS and connect the master to the black end; slave to the gray end. The blue end goes to the mb or controller. The position of the device on the cable determines master or slave. If your cable has all gray ends, then you must set jumpers to master and slave.

I agree that in any case backing up what you do not want to loose is a good idea. It is not a question of if your driver will fail, it is a question of when it will fail. Data that is not backed up is data you do not care about.

hi, i have an old HD that i would like to put into another pc to use for a backup, could you guys tell me how to go about this? i just need to know how to se the jumpers and if i can format it in XP

thanks,

DaveBurnett

Account Closed
The jumper settings depend on what disks and optical drives you already have in you machine and how they are connected.
What make machine/motherboard is it?
What Disks and CD/DVD drives do you already have and what IDE connections do they use?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online