1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Few Questions

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by 18c, Jul 18, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 18c

18c Thread Starter

I am intersetd in getting one of teh new athlon 64 processors .. how ever i dont know th edifferance, there is a 64 754 socket, a 64 939 pin, a 64 FX, 64 FX 939 and a 64 FX 940 pin, what is teh differances between these i have done some research and found all sorts of info but i could barely understand most of it.. so im looking for an "english" version of an explanation, something easy to understand,

my next question is about DDR2 is it worth me getting a whole new mother board of should i just stick with PC3200 obviously i would need anew mother board for teh 64 processor but once i figure out which processor to get im trying to decide should i get one with DDR2 or DDR pc3200

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Some things to think about. Unless you have an os and apps that are written for a 64 bit processor, you are not going to "See" a lot of improvement.

From your sig I see that you have PC3200 ram and a 266 fsb processor. I do not use gigabyte boards so I do not know if your board allows running asynchronous on the ram speed. If your ram is running at the same speed as the fsb, you will notice an improvement in bandwidth by going to a 400 fsb processor [as long as your board supports it]

An AMD 3000+ 400 fsb would be much cheaper than a new board, processor, ram, 64 bit processor, etc.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/251604

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice