1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A few ?'s on partitioning my hardrive...

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darkelf_18, Apr 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. darkelf_18

darkelf_18 Thread Starter

Hey guys, I am going to be reformating my 160gig HD and I thought I could partition one small part for the Sytem files and other important stuff, and leave the rest for games, mp3's' movies, etc... But I don't really know how large a partition to create, and also what files should I keep on that partition? Should I have that partition named D: instead of the default C:? Cause don't most viruses attack the first drive letter, since thats the one that has the system files on it 98% of the time?
    Anyway, any other input would be cool to.
    TIA,
    D.E_18

2. scmazter

scmazter

Hey, well yes it's very very smart to have all your windows files on a seperate partition, because if the other one goes 2 hell you don't want to reinstall windows.

What OS are you using? I have found it very hard to partition the HD in XP :( if no1 else replies, I suggest asking microsoft.

3. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

I used partition magic on XP with no probs at all. You can resize the original partition to whatever you require, and create as many others as you want and whatever size suits your needs.

Hope it helped

Gus

4. scmazter

scmazter

Oi ye? Sounds like a program.
    Is it free? If so where can I get it from?

5. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

Any good computer shop will sell it. Over here in the UK it sells for about £45.00. I actually had it from a friend so you mite ask about to see if anyone has it.

Cheers

Gus

6. darkelf_18

I use Win XP pro. I have done partitions before on it but I want to totaly wipe it and start from fresh, cause I installed those Omega drivers and they didn't work very well, and after reinstalling the ATI drivers, some games won't work and others work poorly. Should I install the Anti Virus on the same partition as the OS?

7. scmazter

scmazter

Proly wouldnt be much use, viruses which attack AVs search the registry for their settings, so they'll always know where 2 find them. Oh well, the start onces.

8. bookime wood

bookime wood

Howdy darkelf

I partition my drives and using the xp disc is very easy, at set up just delete any existing partitons, and then set up your new partitions, I use c: for windows and all programs, depending on the rig I use anything between 6-10gb, on my video/gaming rig I have c: with 8GB. On your 160gb leave anything from 6-10 gb for windows/programs, and then split the rest of your hd into storage for your games, mp3, video....etc etc, maybe 30 gb for games, 40 for video, 30 for mp3, 10 for pics and whatever else is left.

bookime

9. darkelf_18

I will need a very large Partition for games, as most games that have come out recently are over 2 gigs I.E. UT2K4.

10. GUSMAN

GUSMAN

With a 160 gb hard drive you can afford to give a bit more to your games. Just sit down and have a good think about it, you know what size the games are that you use so thats a start.
    For me, it is absolutely a must for my my Uni work to go on a separate partition in case of system crashes etc.
    With the software I mentioned earlier, you can also take space from another partition and make your preferred one bigger. So I always leave some unpartioned space just for that.

Cheers

Gus

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/222996

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice