A few various (but frustrating) problems with Windows XP.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Sanguines

Well, I've been having issues with my computer and LAN lately. Originally, my computer would have errors when using BitTorrent - memory type errors (f.ex, hash check failed, or corrupted downloads) usually. I wrote it off as not a big deal and restarted the torrents when they would fail. Well, that worked for a while, until I decided to format my hard drive. I backed up all my data onto a second hard drive and reinstalled XP Pro. Nothing changed - the same problems were coming up. So I made a disk with Memtest86 (http://www.memtest86.com/) on it and booted from it, thinking I had a memory problem. I let the program loop for the better part of 10 hours. No errors found. I was surprised! So then I thought it was a hard drive problem. So, I bought a brand new Hitachi 80gb 7200rpm hard drive, and replaced my ancient 20gb 4200rpm dinosaur drive. Installed it, and installed XP on it.

After installing XP, my computer now does a multitude of stupid things, such as:

*IE 6.0 crashes constantly, it will stay open about one time in 6. Of course I don't use IE mostly, but Firefox, but it's still annoying for that occasional thing I want to use IE for. I've done Windows Update for all the major updates. Event Viewer says the fault is in urlmon.dll (which I've tried, unsuccessfully, to replace with a new copy), or it says "Fault bucket 258722783." Right..

*Any files transferred over the network, and any large downloaded files from the internet, end up corrupt. I've tried transferring over the wireless and wired portions of the network. I've also tried replacing cables, resetting the router/connection, reinstalling drivers, etc. It's not the internet connection, either - the same 1.5gb download completed without corruption on another computer on the network.

*Occasionally, I'll leave my computer on overnight or longer, and I'll wake up to see that the computer has rebooted itself. When I logon, I get the "The system has recovered from a serious error" box, and a message saying that a fault was caused by a device driver on my system. BUT, Device Manager reports no driver conflicts of any kind! *le sigh*

My system config is as follows:
Athlon XP 1600+ Palomino in a VIA VT8366 Mainboard
512MB PC2100
80GB Hitachi 7200rpm PATA hdd
40GB Seagate 7200rpm PATA hdd
ATi Radeon 9250 256MB
Generic 6-channel PCI audio
Generic USB 2.0 PCI card
Generic 350w power supply

running Windows XP Pro (duh^^)

My router is a D-Link DI-624, with the latest firmware flashed.
My internet connection is SBC Yahoo! DSL using an Efficient Speedstream 5100 DSL modem.

Any help would be great.

Could be a failure with the actual motherboard or processor itself.

You've pretty much eliminated everything else already (nice job too, by the way (y) ).

What I would try to do if possible is this:
1. Try a different power supply (could be a weird power issue).
2. Disconnect all drives/cards/RAM sticks that aren't needed one at a time and see if the problem suddenly disappears (a drive or something like a sound card could be causing weird issues. Not likely, but if you have the time, might as well try).

If you have a spare motherboard/processor, try to use that and see if the problems go away. I've seen some similar issues where a bad mobo caused funny errors and crashes/reboots like you're describing.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online