1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A firewall to recommend...

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by e-liam, Aug 2, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Evening all,

People have asked about firewalls on many an occasion. I use one called Outpost, and it's free. After seeing Putasolution's post regarding an accessibility test available here - Steve Gibson's Shields Up - I tried it out, and here is the result from the site.

With this result, I feel that I may as well give everyone the benefit of at least trying the firewall out. I got it from a cover CD, but you can get it from here and Version 1.0 is free.

Please let me know what you think.

Cheers

Liam

2. buckaroo

buckaroo

3. twotugs

twotugs

I notice two things, everytime I have a security scan performed on my computer:

1. The IP address is never correct. (Which invalidates test results)

2. No matter what firewall I'm using, no matter how I've tweaked it, I'm never stealthed. I assume that it's not me that's being probed, but my ISP.

I'm using SBC DSL as a provider; they've assigned a dynamic IP address. In addition, I use a router that also acts as a hardware firewall. Currently, I have Kerio installed for a firewall. I'd like to think I'm pretty well protected, with all the tweaking I've done (ActiveX, filter rules, specific port blocking) in addition to installed programs, tools, patches, hardware, and good Internet hygiene. Short of being hacked, how can I ascertain if my system is truly safe or not?

BTW, thanks for the link, Liam. I'll check out Outpost demo sometime this week. I notice it can be purchased bundled with Tuascan, which I've heard good things about.

4. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Evening Buckaroo,
    Even better then, (y) :D it passed that one as well.

As I've got this firewall already, I'll happily test it with whichever test sites you can find.. after all, it's to everybody's benefit. If it fails, then we all learn something. The Steve Gibson site found 2 holes in Zone Alarm, so could someone running ZA test with Blackcode?

Perhaps we can form an index of the best and worst, free and commercial, firewalls available. As this thread grows, could everyone try their firewall against the the test sites, and provide feedback?

We can then produce a top ten of both types, for comparison.

Cheers

Liam

5. panzer999

panzer999

I loaded Outpost and headed to GRC, and it showed two closed (not steathled) ports. So I made a few changes to the firewall, and retested it. This time the test showed two other ports closed.

That was the best I could get it down to.

6. starman2002

starman2002

I tested Sygate Personal Firewall at GRC early this morning on my other PC.It also achieved a perfect stealth rating.I'm gonna test it out with Blackcode see how it does there.I'll post how it fared.

7. starman2002

starman2002

My Sygate Personal Firewall passed Blackcode's test scan with all ports registering closed and no trojans...the test seems to be more comprehensive as it takes considerably longer than Shields Up.

8. buckaroo

buckaroo

Yes, I agree, it seems that Blackcode is more comprehensive.

:)

9. psilky

psilky

I ran a scan on za 3.7 result it passed Blackcode's test scan with all ports registering closed and no trojans, I set up ZA following advce in previous threads.

Hope this aids your quest for an index of best and worst firewalls:)

10. panzer999

panzer999

Tiny Personal Firewall is a good one not many people have tried.

It passed every test I have found to put it thru, and (unlike Outpost) it loads early in the start-up proccess so it catches just about anything that tries to connect when you start the computer.

And it is free also.

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/151993

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice