1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A FIX for random game crashes and Vid Card crashes!

Discussion in 'Games' started by Vizier, Jul 9, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Vizier

Vizier Banned Thread Starter

If any of you have a radeon card (might apply to nvidia cards too) and you have been experiencing random crashes to desktop / reboots / VPU Recover windows ...Go into you r bios and change the vid card core voltage to 1.7v, if 1.7 doesnt fucntion, use 1.8. That should fix 95% of all of you crashing problems.

I had tried everything to fix these crashes, formatting HD, reinstalling windows...I even bought a new power supply. None of it worked but since i switched to 1.7v I have had no problems in any games and no crashes at all. It was set to the default 1.64v unbeknownst to be.

Anyways if youve tried everything like me...give it a try I think that it will fix it.

2. colman77

colman77

Ummmmmmmmm... I'm sceptical... I think voltages generally aren't meant to be messed with... if you do, just know that you may run the risk of frying your card...
    ...right??? not all cards run on the same voltage, and if it's supposed to run on something lower, it could get fried, right?? and then if it's supposed to run higher than that, MAYBE some bugs would get fixed, but wouldn't the card also run slower??

Which radeon card do you have anyway?

EDIT actually, it looks like the standard voltage for AGP cards is 1.5v... upping the voltage will (I believe) up performance a little, as well as heat generated. Too high a voltage, however, will result in BSODs and the like.

3. McTimson

McTimson

Increasing the voltage generally allows you to overclock the card more, much like increasing the voltage on a CPU does. However, as a warning, increasing the voltage probably voids the card's warranty, as they were designed to run at 1.5v, AGP standard voltage. And yes, if the voltage is too high, the card may not function properly. Use caution when raising voltages, and make sure your case cooling is adequate.

4. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/248369

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice