1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a foolish question

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Robert . O, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert . O

Robert . O Thread Starter

alright, I just bought a new case, a performance II workstation tower, plugged it in without anything in it to see if the power supply works and nothing happened.

Turned the switch on in the back from O to 1and nothing, the power supplies fan in the back didn't go on

here's the foolish question, should the mobo be in there for this to work or before putting anything in there take this tower back for another one

2. DaveCovenant

DaveCovenant

I wasn't quite sure myself so I had to try it with a known good power supply.
    The fan is not supposed to kick in, but if you do end up having a similar problem once you install the motherboard.
    1.) Flip the switch on the rear of the computer from 115 to 230, and then back again to 115.
    2.) With the power switch on the power supply in the on position, and the computer unplugged. Hold the on switch (which would be located in the front or on the side of the computer) in the on position for about ten seconds. (This will discharge the capacitors if they're causing the problem.)
    3.) Plug the power supply in and give it a whirl.
    Also...try to keep surge protectors and the like out of the loop when doing this...just for troubleshooting sake.

-David

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/117832

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice