1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A good gaming computer?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Rebecca712, Aug 15, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Rebecca712

Rebecca712 Thread Starter

I wasn't really sure where to post this question, so I figured random discussion's were the safe bet. My friend is trying to get a good gaming computer to run some hardcore 3D games, & have good FPS and all that. I've been told this computer was a good computer. Quick specs --v--
    • Intel Core i7-4790 Processor 3.6GHz
    • Microsoft Windows 7 Professional 64-bit
    • 16GB DDR3-1600 SDRAM
    • 2TB 7,200RPM Hard Drive
    • NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745

Here's the link to the computer as well http://www.microcenter.com/product/450292/XPS_8700_Desktop_Computer

He wants to for sure play MMO/FPS games with high graphics with good FPS (the dream)
    Opinions on the computer and other suggestions? His budget is about $900 Thank you in advance!

2. EAFiedler

EAFiedler Moderator

Hi Rebecca712

For better assistance, I have moved your thread to the Hardware forum.
    Please continue replies in this thread. Thank you.

3. Rebecca712

Rebecca712 Thread Starter

Cool thanks man, like I said I didn't know where to put it :p

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

To be honest, thats a weird set up. The i7 isnt bad at all, and there is plenty of memory (not the fastest, but plenty good enough!). However that graphics card just seems wrong. Looking at benchmarks is comes very, very low - 3D Mark (populat programme for assessing how good a card is) sticks it way, way down th elist- its at 81 in the link below.

https://forums.techguy.org/threads/a-good-gaming-computer.1153706/

A Radeon R9 or Nvidia Geforce 800 or 900 series is in the range of 200-250 US dollars (not from there myself) and would be so much better. With whats in thee, it would not be a particularly nice experience in terms of gaming, probably slow, laggy and generally frustrating.

Given that its a dell, its unlikely that the power seupply would be able to run a better card, so you would be looking at replacing that as well as the card, so probably another 80-150 or so (Again dont know US prices, but I would really, really recommend a good supply) followed by either upgrding yourself (or a friend that knows what they are doing) or paying to have it done. chances are that the total cost would be half as much again.

For me, I wouldnt buy that model; it may be sold as a gamer, but frankly I suspect that solitaire would be its practical limit.
    Hope thats helpfull, and remeber different people, different opinions, so wait for a few replies before you decide:)

5. Tanis

Tanis

First Name:
    Shane
    I agree with Gulo.

For NVidia cards its the 2nd two numbers that are the important ones when it comes to graphics card performance, you want to be looking at a minimum of a x60 series card (760, 860 etc) for gaming in my opinion. Anything less than that and you will start getting performance issues or you will be forced to drop your quality settings further.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1153706

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice