1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A heads up about gameguard

Discussion in 'Games' started by iwassnow, Apr 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iwassnow

iwassnow Thread Starter

This is a heads up for anyone playing games that run Gameguard, such as Maplestory Mabinogi or Gunbound.
    For anyone who read my thread a few days ago, my computer was crashing during gameplay of a few games, Maplestory most notably. The probably was diagnosed as and agreed apon by the responses as a Graphics Card overheat error, which concerned me as it hasn't happened before. I may now have found the problem, to which I would like to inform my fellow gamers.

The problem started when my girlfriend's brand new computer started having the same issue last night out of the blue. I decided to scour the web for possible problems with the game. I found a thread somewhere describing an error with gameguard BSODing when there was a critical error in the program. Doing more homework, I found out that gameguard's error handler is tied right into the kernal process of windows and activated a BSOD instead of crashing just the game. Wondering what could have possibly done that, I decided to check gameguard's website WHEN I remembered: I have other gameguard games.

I uninstalled them all(including maplestory) did a system search for gameguard anything and manually deleted it. Ran CCleaner to get rid of leftover files(probably was unneccesary). Redownloaded Maplestory and ran the program. It's been running(and still is) error free for the last hour and a half(twice as long as I've made it in the last 3 weeks). I was gonna try it on my girlfriend's computer when I thought I should share this little bit of info with the tech guys here just incase the problem was ever encountered again.

Summary: Gameguard is incompatible with itself! :eek:

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/707841

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice