1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A:\ is not accessible

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by heyu200_, Apr 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

what do i do about this? my a: drive has not worked for a while. everyone here told me bad drive, bad cable. replaced both still no joy. now it says this....

A:\ is not accessible
    the floppy disk controller reported an error that is not recognized by the floppy disk driver.

help??

2. griffinspc

griffinspc

I've done a group search and this isn't uncommon and seems to be an XP problem. Others have pulled drives that work from 98 and 2K machines and had the same error after installing them. Like you, they tried cables, etc., to no avail.

I did a brief Microsoft knowledge base search with no hits and I haven't time right now to go further but let me ask this, have you installed SP1 on your XP machine? That's assuming you're running XP. ;)

3. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hook it up outside of the case to test it.

4. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

yes i have sp1 installed...and install outside case??
    i tried installing it without physically mounting it if thats what u mean?

5. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

this all started when i put a floppy in and tried to read it....light, clunk clunk clunk...disk in drive is not formatted would u like to format it now? i say yes and it says windows cannot complete format.

6. ~Candy~

So, you can't read a floppy disk in the drive without having it mounted in the case either? I mean in DOS mode, not windows. Boot to command prompt only.

If not, then it's hardware (the drive), the cable, or the actual controller connection to the motherboard.

7. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

ok ill try that thanx..if it will read in dos from command prompt then its a config or software prob??

8. ~Candy~

Correct. If it won't read in dos, then it's hardware ;)

9. kilowatt1

kilowatt1

:) This article might not apply, but it is an interesting read anyway.

Good luck.

Kilowatt

10. griffinspc

griffinspc

Nice diagnostic pick Candy.

11. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

tried accessing it from command prompt...said file system was raw...converting to fat....format failed

12. ~Candy~

????

Just trying to do a

dir

on the floppy drive?

Can you test more than one floppy disk?

13. heyu200_

heyu200_ Thread Starter

ive tried everything...4 different drives...different cables....uninstalling...reinstalling....im stumped
    time to take it to the local repair shop..lol, i really outta have an a drive. also though it seems like when i reboot it takes a long time to access any of my drives like its having problems recognizing the drives? is this a factor?

14. Rockn

Rockn

If the BIOS is reporting an error at boot up stating that the controller is a problem then the FDD controller on the motherboard is defective. Is the LED on all of the time on the drive whether it is being accessed or not?

15. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Anotherthing you might want to check, in the BIOS make sure that the floppy drive is set to 1.44 3.5...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!