Solved a key (s) dosent work, then works after a while

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

rexx11

as the title says, a keyboard key (s) doesn't work when I boot up windows 10 pro, but after a while, it works.

the laptop is Acer predator 17

GTX 1060 8 GB

8 GB ram DDR4

SSD + HDD

Intel Core i5-7300HQ 2.50ghz

rexx11

Does the key work in the user name field on the sign in screen ?
did a format and reinstalled my os (win10 pro) s seems to be working but the windows key dosent seem to work., and it didnt work in the sign in screen until now.

rexx11

update: key works on random and when the key "s" dosent work, the "alt" key dosent work too. and windows key unresponsive.

rexx11

Try an external USB keyboard.
external keyboard works, the left alt key, the s key and the windows key, meanwhile all of those 3 keys don't work on my laptop keyboard. could this be a hardware problem...

update: while tinkering with the keys, I pressed the s key and it did kind of a burst, it registered 6 keystrokes instead of 1. most possibly a hardware problem and if so, I would appreciate some assistance with disassembly of the key, if possible.

Last edited:
First Name
David
It sounds like the Laptop Keyboard is dysfunctional.
Unfortunately, Acer predator 17 keyboard replacement are expensive. Depending on the model $150 ~ $170.00 USD

rexx11

It sounds like the Laptop Keyboard is dysfunctional.
Unfortunately, Acer predator 17 keyboard replacement are expensive. Depending on the model $150 ~ $170.00 USD
while going to the device manager, under keyboard it says "standard ps/2 keyboard" ps2 is pretty old.

First Name
David
Has nothing to do with your problem.
It is just a standard OS driver being used for embedded keyboards in notebooks.

If an External USB keyboard works OK and the embedded notebook keypad doesn't then the embedded keypad needs replacement. Unfortunately the unit for your 17" laptop is rather expensive.

managed

Trusted Advisor
Spam Fighter
First Name
Allan
You should find cheaper keyboards on Ebay.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online