Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

A laptop with a weird keyboard layout

1K views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  BlackHorseman 
#1 ·
Hi,

I got a laptop from work, and it has a very funny keyboard layout. In addition to English and Hebrew letters, some letter keys have numbers on them ('U' has the number 4, 'I' - 5, 'O' - 6 etc). I cannot type any of those letters.... the number keys from 7 to 0 do not produce the characters '&','*','(' or ')' when pressed with Shift held down, but rather behave like function keys or arrow keys.

Any idea how to make this keyboard behave more sensibly?

Thanks,
D.

#2 ·
Propably the keyboard is of some other language, and you should get a corresponding language pack, so it would write the letters and marks that are on the keyboard. Any idea which language it could be? Origin of the laptop?

#3 ·
That is a standard laptop keyboard. I don't use it, but I believe if you push the # lock key then this becomes your # keypad. You might have to enable the # lock using the fn key located on the lower left of your keyboard. on my Dell the fn key and the keys that function in conjuction with it are a blue in color. you will have to find the combo that makes the keyboard act normal. I would try the fn key with the # lock key first. On my keyboard it's the fn and the scroll key.

#4 ·
The numbers on the U, I,O, J, K, L, M are indeed a standard thing on a laptop since most laptops do not have a number pad. You have to press either the Function(FN) key while pressing any one of those keys or enable the Num Lock to use the keys as a number pad. Turn off the Num Lock and you should get the letters back.

As for the top 1 thru 0 keys, they should produce the correct number keys or the symbols when shift is pressed down with them but maybe the keyboard is not set correctly. If you plan to use the keyboard with the English language then make sure that in the Control Panel under Regional Settings the format, language, and keyboard are all set properly tot he language you intend to use.

#5 ·
Hi,

You say 'enable the Num Lock', 'turn off the Num Lock'....
How????
I tried interpreting your instructions as best I could, and now results.
If I hold down a key it starts fire-typing. Then I press the # Lock, and it just stops...

D.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.