1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a little advice please...

Discussion in 'Networking' started by hvactech, Jan 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hvactech

hvactech Thread Starter

Hi,
    I have cable broadband and I need to expand my home network. Currently I have a combo cable modem/wireless gateway, make = Motorola Surfboard wireless N and I want to add FVS318v3 prosafe firewall/switch. Presently I only need the extra wired ethernet ports but will at some point want to use VPN. Can I wire the FVS318v3 in from a lan port on the wireless gateway to the wan/internet port on the FVS318v3 and if so do I need to enable bridge mode on the wireless gateway. Will enabling the bridge mode on the wireless gateway disable DHCP on the gateway? Or, should I start from scratch and get a dedicated cable modem and wire my FVS318v3 directly off modem?

Oh, BTW -- I"m running windows 7 premium -- my ip address controlled by ISP via DHCP (which brings up another subject - upgrading to business will allow me to get a static IP, is that something I need to do in order to use VPN?)

Thanks for the help!

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/972041

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice