1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A little confused about power supplys...help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Chum, Apr 1, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

See these 2 links...

I would prefer the first one because of the light...but some say I should get the 400Watt because of my specs...BUT the 400 does not say P4 ready...seems odd to me!

Specs...
    Asus P4P800 motherboard 800 Meg FSB
    P4 2.6 C CPU
    HIS Excalibur IceQ 9800 Pro graphics card
    DVD ROM
    CD Burner
    1 HDD
    2 case fans
    1 cold cathode light

Would the 350 be good enough? If not is the 400 P4 ready...how can I be sure?

2. rockinmale

rockinmale

Here's a link to help you determine if the power supply will suit your needs. You always are better off going higher than just making the minimum. That way any future hardware additions will be no problem with the power supply.

Here's the link....
    http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/

I hope this helps you out!
    TC
    rockin'male:cool:

3. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Great link! Thanks...now how can I tell if that 400 watt one is P4 ready?

4. kiwiguy

kiwiguy

Use Google.

You already have the exact model number, available on the link(s) you gave.

Now search on Google using that and you will find all the info, such as this drawing.

http://www.fortron-source.com/images/FSP400-60PNU.pdf

To my eyes, PG looks like what you are seeking??

5. rockinmale

rockinmale

I tried finding any information on the psu at fortrans website if the psu was p4 ready. In one of the pdf files it shows the connectors, but it doesnt state anywhere that its p4 ready. I dont want you to buy it to find out it doesnt have them.

Unless theirs someone else outt there that has one and can enlighten us.

Otherwise i did a search for you on newegg and the antec 400 watt psu is another good quality power supply. I would recommend this one. Its p4 ready and its cheaper than that fortran.

Think about it?

Here's the link.....
    http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=17-103-912&depa=1
    TC
    Good luck
    rockin'male:cool:

6. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

Out of all of the power supplies that they had, THIS was the best one.

The Fortrons you listed above didn't even have PFC :rolleyes: That's probably why they have to depend on buttons and bells like the flashing lights to sell their products. Two things that you never EVER want to skimp on, are the video card, and the power supply! Get a real one, you'll be glad you did further down the road ;)

7. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Please...what is PFC?

8. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Yep (PG from the drawing does look like the 4 pin P4 connector)
    Now why in the heck don't they just state that it is P4 ready and avoid confusion!:mad:

9. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Yes it does have nice specs...wanted that larger fan though.

10. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

What's PFC? :eek: It stands for Power Factor Correction, and it is one of the most important circuits in a modern power supply. Power factor is the relationship between working (active) power and total power consumed (apparent power). The ratio of true ac input power to the apparent ac input power.

Power Factor Correction on a switching power supply controls the timing and wave shape of the input current drawn to maintain the current waveform approximately in phase with and of the same shape as the line voltage. This results in a power factor of approximately 1.0. This is important when electronic equipment consumes a significant amount of power, since otherwise the facility power system could exceed its current ratings for the power consumed and potentially impact other equipment on the same power system.

By reducing the volt-amperes your electric utility has to deliver in order to provide a gene power level demanded by the power supply. Much less power is lost in generating useless “harmonics” that unnecessarily load down the AC electrical delivery system. Harmonics are a form of noise, produced in frequencies which are a multiple of the basic 60 cycle sine wave. They are caused by switching power supplies and in other sophisticated machines, including computers and variable frequency drivers.

Harmonics can distort the basic sine wave, as well as cause high currents on the neutral and ground wires in a system. A lot of harmonics in the power line will shorten the lifespan of your computer. PFC gets rid of these harmful harmonics and there fore your computer will have less problems, and last much longer. Just make sure you get “active” PFC. Passive PFC is not as good. Active PFC also has a much larger buffer. It is the number choice of professionals. If you can afford a little bit more I can find you a Sea Sonic power supply. They are hands down one of the best! If you can’t swing the extra 40 bucks, then the Zalman is also an extremely good power supply ;)

As far as the fan goes... they are not rated by their "size". They are rated by the amount of air that they can push, and a efficient 3" fan can, and will, push mush more air that a non-efficient 4" fan. You also have to consider how hot is the circuity going to get. The Zalman and the Seasonic will NOT get hot! They are designed from the ground up for overkill, so whatever fan they have, is more than enough under any load! ;)

11. Chum

Chum Thread Starter

Hey Wet Chicken! What about
    this one...seems good?

Man, I have picked out alot of computer parts(good ones I think).
    Never thought I would have so much trouble picking a PSU!
    ;)

12. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

A lot of people report that the fans on the Thermals are very loud and that they rub the chassis :eek: It would be OK for about a year and a half, and then it might start going bad on you. So in a year or two you'll have to buy another one, and what will that cost you? Another 40-50 bucks? So why not just spend the extra 40 bucks now and get a power supply that will last you 5 or 6 years, and give you better service for that entire time??

I'd give it maybe a 7 out of 10 ;)

13. StillLearnin'

StillLearnin'

14. Wet Chicken

Wet Chicken

You're joking right? :p

15. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/216705

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice