1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A little confused

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by WELSHVIKING, Aug 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. WELSHVIKING

WELSHVIKING Thread Starter

Hi, I bought a 2nd hand gaming pc tower last week which runs Windows Xp Professional SP3 , the guy i bought it from had done a system restore on the pc. The thing i find confusing is when i go to :-

All programmes > Accessories > System tools.. all that is showing is Internet explorer (no add -ons)

Is this usual to Xp professional because on my other pc which runs standard xp, when i go to
    All programmes > Accessories > System tools i get 7 tabs showing inc disk clean up, disk defrag etc etc

Any ideas anyone....Thanks in advance.....Regards Colin (Wales Uk)
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. surferdude2

surferdude2

There have been a lot of XP Pro pirate copies (commercial mostly) so you may be in for some bad news. Have you visited the MS Updater site and passed the Authenticity test? It will run first off before you are offered any updates. No harm done by trying. That'll set you at ease or not.

http://www.update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-us

3. WELSHVIKING

Many thanks for the quick reply Surferdude2, i will try that in a minute or so and see what the results come up with.....Cheers Colin

4. WELSHVIKING

Ok i have done the Authenticity test

Validation Complete!

Thank you for completing the validation process and for using genuine Microsoft software.

5. surferdude2

surferdude2

Great. Now we'll have to apologize for all those evil thoughts. :D

Have you tried going to Control Panel and clicking the left side selection about install Windows components? That's clutching at straws but a good way to check to see if the items are already selected and supposed to be installed.

I remember a few cases where people reported that their Accessories options had mysteriously disappeared and I found a fix for them. Let me look and see if I can find it. I think I found it on either Kelly's Theriot's site or maybe someone she linked.

OK, here it is:

http://www.raymond.cc/blog/archives...-missing-accessories-shortcuts-in-start-menu/

Try that and tell me if it works for you.

6. itsjusme

itsjusme

Well , i guess that means you`re legit. :) It is probably just missing shortcuts for some reason. You can do a search for these files, click on the .exe and be sure they work.
    rstrui.exe
    dfrg.msc
    cleanmgr.exe
    msinfo32.exe
    If they do, then you can try this fix.

EDIT: Sorry sufferdude2, we were typing at the same time, and i type too slow. LOL

7. surferdude2

surferdude2

itsjustme, Great minds think alike. :D Thanks.

8. WELSHVIKING

Right guys here is the latest, i have tried

install Windows components...Sorry did not work

Checked to see if i could find the files below, they all came up on the search and all worked ok
    rstrui.exe
    dfrg.msc
    cleanmgr.exe
    msinfo32.exe

Finally i downloaded Accrestore as recommended , but once downloaded i could not open the download, it kept asking what programme i wanted to open the file and everything i tried never worked

I am going out for the day to the local safari park, so will look later on to see if any nice folks have suggested any other options...Thanks for your help.....Colin

9. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

10. itsjusme

itsjusme

The downloaded file is zipped with a .zip extension. You will need to extract the files to use it, once extracted click on the AccRestore.exe file to run.

11. WELSHVIKING

WELL DONE TO THAT MAN !!!!....Cheers itsjustme (also thanks to surferdude2 and blackmirror), did not realise there was no zip programme on my pc , so downloaded 7zip onto my pc, unzipped AccRestore and the programme did the rest...everything is now restored to my pc....Many thanks for all your help...Colin

12. surferdude2

surferdude2

I never doubted you for a moment! Sometimes the smallest of details can stop even a Viking. :)

You're right, itsjustme covered all the bases well.

Thanks for the update so others can be helped.

Best regards,

Dude

13. itsjusme

itsjusme

LOL Didnt thinkabout that myself. Glad you got it sorted out. :D (y)

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/943813

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice