1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a malfunction ???

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CPU-Ghost, Nov 2, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

I have left my PC working continuously for 3 months now and everything was fine .. until suddenly I heard a weird ticking sound wich after the computer freezed and stopped responding .. then each time I restart the problem occurs again and again (about 5 minutes after res.) ...

any Ideas what the problem is ???

and thnx in advance :) ...

2. bonk

bonk Banned

First does it post and do you hear a beep and see the windows logo. And are you able to get to deaktop??

3. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

wow ... that was fast .. thnx

actually I didnt understand what u mean by post ..

but I dont see the windows logo .. it just freezes and I have to press the restart button myself ..

and about the sound .. no its not a beep its more like a ticking or clicking sound (like the sound that comes when u shutdown the pc) and I think its coming from the hard drive .. maybe?

4. bonk

bonk Banned

Post is a sequence the PC goes through before it loads up the operating system...it checks power and harrdware and if it's ok it usually gives a short beep and the starts to load the operating system.

Before when it was running ok did you use to hear a beep when you started it up??

And is anything on the monitor??

Does tapping F8 immediately on startup bring you to a options screen??

5. cristobal03

cristobal03

Clicking noises are a sure sign that your hard drive is about to go. If you left your box running for 3 months without any downtime whatsoever, this is a pretty likely scenario. Here's what you can do, if you like:

• Take the hard drive out of the computer.
    • Put it in a ziplock bag, or some other waterproof container.
    • Stick in your freezer for 24 hours.
    • Reinstall the drive cold and try to boot.
    Keep in mind that this may get your box up and running long enough for you to salvage important files. More than likely you're going to need a new hard drive.

HTH

chris.

6. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

for bonk :
    yes I suppose my pc posts normally and beeps at the beginning
    also everything looks fine until the 5-10 min period passes then it clicks and freezes again ..

for cristobal03 :

omg r u serious ??

u mean there's no hope for it to be repaired ??

7. bonk

bonk Banned

I would take the side off the PC and re-seat the memory cards and leave the side off and use a household fan to blow into the PC and then try and see if it freezes or takes longer to freeze. Also check to see the fans are all running.

Also if you have 2 memory cards take one out and try that and see....then take that one out and try the other memory card.

8. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

memory cards ?

do u mean hard drives ?

I already shutdown the pc for about 10 hrs and when I started it again it took longer time before freezing...

9. bonk

bonk Banned

Inside you PC you will have memory cards 128Mb 256Mb and so on.not hard drives.

If on of these is having faults it may cause freezing.

Have you tried to see if all the fans are running and when using the household fan as suggested how long does it work before freezing.

Has it been cleaned out recently??

To be honest it could be a number of things including the PC's power supply so it is a process of elimination

10. Triple6

Triple6 Moderator

First Name:
    Rob
    I think the ticking is the hard drive.

If thats the case there is no hope in fixing it. But you can buy a new one and copy your data off the old one before it completely fails.

11. cristobal03

cristobal03

I was serious about putting your hard drive in the freezer, yes. Sometimes it will allow you to bring it back up long enough to backup or move your important files to another drive (say, 8 hours, maybe).

Before you try, since that's sort of last-ditch, make sure you have another hard drive to which you can move the files.

Or, if you don't mind paying someone, you could take it to a repair shop and see if they can get the data off the drive.

My way's kind of old school.

chris.

12. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

well..
    first thnx for ur help everyone ..

and I really think its the hard drive bonk..

but I was wondering if there is any solution .. I mean what if I take the hard drive out and put it in a cool place for a long time (say 2 weeks ).. isn't it going to work ??

and one last thing .. what causes this prob usually and how can I prevent it from happening again ?

thnx again ...

13. cristobal03

cristobal03

Don't leave a non-redundant system up for 3 months at a time, that's for sure.

Power down once a day. At the very least, reboot once a day. If your computer isn't in a self-contained environment (like at an office with its own network, uninterrupted power supply, and a temperature/air particle controlled environment), it's just good sense to give your box a break every now and then.

chris.

[edit]
    By non-redundant system I mean a computer that isn't part of a regular backup procedure, or that otherwise has no spare copy of its data (for example, mirrored or RAID-controlled drives).
    [/edit]

14. bonk

bonk Banned

First cristobal03 freezer trick may work long enough to get the data off...however if the HDD doesn't even spin the it's a long shot.

Running the PC for 3months as you say it was without any breaks or cooling off period is hard on the PC.

15. CPU-Ghost

CPU-Ghost Thread Starter

thnx for ur replys ...

but I have one last question ...

I need to keep my pc working and connected to the net for long periods (so rebooting and disconnecting it even once daily might interrupt my schedule) .. So I was wondering cant I give it a break for one day every week ? or do I have to do it every day ? and how long should the brake time take ???

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/413236

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice