1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Monitor Problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Djas00, Jan 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

I was wondering how I could fix this. I have a Dell Montior. Can't remember the model off hand. It works great except lately it messed up. Well the cord messed up anyway. It something with the connection from the montior to the computer. When I finally get it to work, it is green. I was wondering if I could take a wire out of a different computer or fix the one in this one.

2. carltasha

carltasha

did you do something that might have causd this , like move things around .

3. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

No, I got it from one of my friends. The wire on it has a part that is "unprotected" you could say.

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

It's likely missing one of the colors, either in the wire or in the computer. I'd start by trying to determine if all the wires in the video cable have continuity all the way to the PCB inside the case.

5. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

Well I know all that is working fine. At the part of the wire that goes into the computer there is some of the white wire cover (Don't know what else to call it, other peoples might be black) missing from that part and the copper insulation there is kinda falling off. Do you think that could be the problem?

6. n2gun

n2gun

if the insulation is coming off the wires, there is a very good chance that there is a shorted wire there. The color red is missing if all you get is green. You could probably have it repaired but I think you would find the cost prohibitive. It may cost as much as a new monitor.

7. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

Well is there any way I can replace the wire with one from another monitor?

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If you have a junked monitor, and you know how to use a soldering iron, there's no reason that you can't replace the cable. Just remember that the picture tube and HV P/S retain a healthy charge for days or even weeks, so be careful out there! :)

9. n2gun

n2gun

By high voltage, we are talking 20,000 volts so if you open it be real careful. The charge does not go away by unplugging it either.

10. Djas00

Djas00 Thread Starter

The weird thing about this monitor is that the wires unplugged but in other monitors the don't(Also I have tons of junk monitors):)

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/112270

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice