1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A MUST READ//Recommended anti-trojan program?

Discussion in 'Virus & Other Malware Removal' started by redoak, Jan 26, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. redoak

redoak Gone but never forgotten Thread Starter

2. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

Hi redoak,
    I 've just had a look at the Farm notes. Those photos on the front page are superb! Dis you take them?

Richard.

3. redoak

No, I did not take the photos shown at my website. They all came from the site noted below in my "signature." Yes, they are outstanding. I visit the site every day and downloaded the best that are presented. I have a file of hundreds and growing every day!

I post to the "Photos" Forum using these pics, too. They are well received, even though they are someone else's photography.

{redoak}

4. 1002richards

1002richards Retired Trusted Advisor

redoak
    Many thanks.

Richard

5. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG

6. TOGG

TOGG

You could try Googling A2, which I think is free but seems to be a 'remover' rather than a preventer, or BO Clean which is $29.95 to download and does have 'real time' protection.

I tried Tauscan some time ago but it didn't suit my old computer so I tried and bought one called The Cleaner. It is still updated and I occasionally run scans but don't have it running in 'real time'. Some time after I bought it I found out that nobody likes it or considers it to be very good but, I've paid for it and there are no annual subs, so I keep it!

As I am using an old '98 computer on dial up I think I would know immediately a spambot hit me because everything would seize up due to the lack of resources!

7. hewee

hewee

I have been see lots of newer spam that has news headlines as the subject and doing a google they are really new news. but no way do I open these email because your be in big trouble if you did.

8. redoak

hewee: I don't open suspicious e-mails either.

One program that I recently came across is "TrojanHunter." It only finds them after the fact, but if run often would be better than nothing. I have it as a "trial" at present. It runs very quickly. But is that evidence of doing a poor job?

{redoak}

9. TOGG

TOGG

If Trojan Hunter is anything like Trojan Remover it will be running a preliminary scan of the most likely hiding places for trojans which is completed very quickly.

If you want to do a more detailed scan with Trojan Remover you have to select the specific programs, files or folders you want checked.

10. hewee

hewee

Yes spam is really getting worse and so far going on year 4 no spam with my ISP or none that I see. I made sure not to sign up for news letter from comcast and it's a good thing because then 3rd partys get your address so if if you ask comcast to stop you still got the 3rd partys to deal with and you know that would be hard because how many are there and how many 3rd partys give your address out to others. Plus I went online and set it up so all spams gets deleted so if somehow I am getting spam I never see it and like so many other places it is not getting into my inbox so that is great.
    Web email has gotten a lot worse. Hotmail that I do not like does have one good thing and that is no spam gets into my inbox because only ones on my safe list that I let can send email to me. Myway has been getting hit really bad where I went from 4 spams a week that were only on the weekends last Oct. to 10 or so a day now and they are also getting in the inbox. Took over 2 years added to the block list from spam that made it into the inbox. I had to clear it because of all the new myway spam. Then it took 2 months to get the 100 max limit you can block this time so that tells you how bad it is. Gmail I was getting maybe 1 spam a week and this pass week I have been getting 1 to 3 a day.

I wish the other web base emails do like hotmail did where you have the safe list and the option that any spam you get gets deleted so you never have to see the spam.
    Not having the spam to see is best because you do not have to worry about clicking the wrong thing and having the email open when you did not mean to.

Could be like TOOG said where one scan is faster because of where and what it is looking for and then you should be able to do a more deep scan that will take a lot longer.

11. redoak

Trouble with allowing a filter to "throw away" spam is there may be something that you should see. That happened to me just a few days ago. Fortunately, I have Yahoo put what is considered spam in my "bulk" folder and I scan it before tossing. Thus, I caught the e-mail that was important.
    {redoak}

12. Blackmirror

Blackmirror

I dont recieve any spam using hotmail

yet my orange account that goes through Outlook express at the last count recieved 300 spam emails and that was at one time

13. hewee

hewee

Hotmail always spam you and you say you don't get any?
    Or do you have your setting so email in the block folder gets deleted. If so your just not seeing it because what ever email goes to that fold is history.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!