A Mystery to me!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lehatche

Hello, I have a self made problem that probably has no answer. I purchased couple of computer cases the other day at a yard sale ($15.00). Both are generic cases. Case # 1 had a power supply and a couple of drives, Case #2 had a MB, CPU (Cel. 400), and a couple of drives no HD. Well I took a chance and tried to combine the two, I had all the other hardware needed. After switching the motherboard to the other case, adding memory and an old HD with Linux on it. Believe this or not but it worked! But not exactly the way it should. (A) Although it shows the drives Floppy, CD, and HD. The HD is the only thing that works. If I put a CD in the player it doesn't recognise there is a CD inside and the same with the Floppy! This has to be on the Bios/MB level because no matter how I set up the boot sequence it will not boot from these devices. Also I THINK I have all the little lites and buttons on the front contol hooked up properly. If not could that affect the board in this manor? Also I almost forgot it is a Gateway board with Intel chips. Anyone for this challenge? Oh one more thing the case I removed the MB from had 6 screws with plastic washers that connected into metal stand offs. The case I put it in had four Plastic stand offs (At the four corners and two metal stand offs in the middle edges of the board where I used two of the screws with plastic washers.

Could this have anything to do with in an old Linux you need to mount a floppy and a CD drive before you can access the files?

However setting floppy/CD drive to boot is no business of any operating system. It sounds more like a hardware connection problem but that can be clear if the POST screen reports them.

So may be you can confirm

(1) Have the devices been reported in the POST screen?
(2) Inside the BIOS screen are these devices correctly identified?

If they are not reported correctly recheck all the connections

If they are reported correctly but still do not respond then next time you pick up another box ask the seller "Do all the components work?".

lehatche

Thanks for the reply! The answer to your questions are yes to both. They are posted correctly and they are correctly identified. I also Took out CMOS battery and set the jumper to reset. After several hours I replaceed battery and replaced jumper this did not solve the problem. Could the front panel control buttons and led's connections to the board, if one or more were connected in reverse have an adverse reaction on the board? Thanks for your help! If I cann't get this sorted out I will proceed to scrap any useful parts for my repair business! I would like to figure it out if possible if for no other reason but to get a learning experiance.

lehatche

Hello I finally got it to work, somewhat. The computer now recoqnizes the CD and floppy in the OS but during boot up no matter what I chose, as the boot device, it always boots from Hdd. I have not tried to load any other programs in the hope someone might be able to give me a solution to this boot problem. I know were I can buy a new copy (from a legitiment source) of Win 2000 Pro. I just don't want to have to try to install over my current OS so as not to have a mess! Any ideas would be helpful!!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online