1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a network cable is unplugged

Discussion in 'Networking' started by wildexpressions, Jan 13, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wildexpressions

wildexpressions Thread Starter

I am trying to network an xp prof machine with a win 98 machine.
    I have two nics in the xp machine ,one is d-link dfe- 530TX the other is on board sis 900 pci fast ethernet adapter.
    The 98 machine has the same d-link card.
    My dsl is connected to the d link nic on the xp machine and i ran a cat 5e cable from the sis 900 nic to the d link nic on the 98 machine.
    I have two internet connectivity icons on the task bar by my clock and one says" a network cable is unplugged"I check the connections they are all plugged in.
    I ran the network connect wizard in xp and checked the "ignore unplugged device" box as it would not let me continue without doing that and everything set up fine.
    I then stuck my xp disc in the 98 machine and chose the setup network option and everything worked fine.But i still show it as being unplugged.
    It is a brand new nic in the 98 machine,and when i swithch the two connections around on my xp machine it shows the d-link as being unplugged,which more or less tells me that the nic in the 98 machine is no good,or i am not doing something right here.

I know 2 people who have successfully networked 2 c systems together this way without a router or hub,so i know i do not need one.
    They only thing is they networked win 98 to win 98 and xp to xp.
    I am trying to network xp to 98 but i dont think that should really make a difference.
    I also run norton internet security 2003,I disabled it but it still doesnt work.

Could someone try to guide me through this i am very new to this and do not know about protocols and the like.
    Thanks so much.

2. wedor

wedor

Are you using a crossover cable?

3. wildexpressions

not sure what a crossover cable is but the one i have is a cat 5e.
    It says on the back of the package that i can share files and internet connection with it.

I really did not know there were different types,maybe i need a router with this type of cable?
    what do you think?

4. wildexpressions

I had the wrong cable.:rolleyes:

I went and bought a crossover cable(very expensive!!:mad: :mad: )

And now i type this on my networked 98 machine.

Thanks

5. Del

Del

And that my friend, is what is called a crossover cable!!

6. Improvenet_1

Improvenet_1

out of curiosity how much did you pay for the cable?

7. wildexpressions

I paid $60.00 [cdn] at future shop........I know I Know i got SEVERELY ripped off.
    I went down the street to a mom and pop comp store and got the same 50 ft cable for $15.

I questioned the manager at future shop when i returned the cable as to why so expensive and first he said he has no control over the pricing and second that "You bought one didnt you"
    so i guess newbies like me get scammed.Im glad i found that other store,which by the way will be getting all my business from now on.
    Thanks for the help.

8. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Gee, for $60 I bought a bag of connectors, the tool to crimp them, and a spool of cable. I can make tons of cables, either plain or crossover. :D

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113161

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice