1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A networking card.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JoshRod, Dec 27, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

I'm trying to get a network card for my Dell Dimension 4600C. I asked my friend and he told me I can just buy any and the reason why prices are different is because the range/distance as to how far it can connect differs. Is it true that I can buy any networking card for my PC? Also, where would it go? I'm not sure as to where and there doesn't seem like much space on the motherboard. Maybe this will help. http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dim4600C/sm/techov.htm#1101565 The video card connector is used by a GeForce 6200 that I got for Christmas. Also, from that documentation, it says I have one IDE and one SATA connector. That does mean that I can use an IDE (currently using one) and upgrade to an SATA, right? If so, I might upgrade my hard drive since I'll be playing a lot of games soon since the performance on my PC enhanced greatly. Thanks.

2. D-Berd

D-Berd

3. Hughv

Hughv

Note that the SATA connector is optional. You should verify it exists before buying a drive.
    That board has an integrated NIC. Has it failed?

4. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
  5. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

I'm currently using a USB and switching between that and Windows but I disconnect every 5 minutes or so. @Hughv, I doubt the NIC failed or else Windows wouldn't connect at all. Even when it doesn't disconnect every 5 minutes, if I were to try and play any 3D game, I would disconnect. I'd rather buy from Best Buy than newegg; not that newegg isn't bad, it's great. I go there a lot but seeing how I live close to Best Buy, I see no reason to not buy from there. Would these do:

Networking Card:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/D-Link+...Card/8040363.p?id=1157068455017&skuId=8040363

SATA Drive:
    http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Western...tops/8909595.p?id=1213047091732&skuId=8909595

6. Hughv

Hughv

That's a wireless card. Is that what you want? If you're using wireless, you may not have a NIC problem so much as a software/connection problem. I'd use the wired connection if I were gaming, and it's possible.
    It would be foolish to buy a SATA drive without opening the case and verifying you have a SATA connector.

7. Gr3iz

Gr3iz

First Name:
    Mark
    If you don't have a SATA connector on the power supply, you can get an adapter that you can use on a standard "Molex" connector.

8. D-Berd

D-Berd

You should do what Hughv said and open the case to make sure the board has the SATA connector. It is an "Optional" component of the board.

Image2.png

9. JoshRod

JoshRod Thread Starter

A wireless card is what I want. I would use wired connection but the ethernet wall (don't know what it's called; you connect the ethernet to the wall) is way too far and people would just trip over the wire, so there's a no for that. Of course I'd look inside the PC for an SATA connector. I'm actually going to check right after this post.

EDIT: The USB that I'm using requires a 2.0 port but it won't recognize any of the ports as 2.0. The documentation says that I do have all 2.0 ports though. What's wrong?

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/971064

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice