1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A networking help request for your expertise

Discussion in 'Networking' started by cinrose, Oct 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

I currently have two PCs connected to a cable modem through a router in my basement.

I've just purchased a Dell Inspirion 8500 with wireless capabilities.

How do I get all of these computers online simultaneously? I don't want to install wireless cards in the PCs. I already know my option of plugging a cable into the laptop in my basement and linking it to the router, but I'm dreaming of checking my e-mail from my couch a floor up. I'm also pursuing the unrealistic ideal of checking my e-mail and accessing the internet from bed two floors up.

Which wireless routers do you recommend? Which signal boosters are most likely to make this worthwhile, since I want to use the laptop upstairs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

First off, since most WAP's are more expensive than wireless routers, I'd just replace the router with a wireless model. If you locate the wireless router near the center of the house, you should get decent coverage. You can also install an omnidirectional hi-gain antenna on the router for some additional range.

3. cinrose

cinrose Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice. Any reccommendations on wireless router brands?

And to clarify for me, this means that wireless routers also have ports for plugging in desktops that have regular (non-wireless) ethernet cards?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Yep, I recently picked up a D-Link DI-614+ for $15 after rebates, it's a wireless 802.11b router with four LAN ports. And you can connect a switch to add computers, I have 8 computers, two print servers, and a TiVo connected to mine.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/172397

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice