A new Hd ?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

stecks

My what my question is if it would be possible to transfer all my contents of my HD to possibly a bigger one ... but i'm not sure if my system will take it and what type of HD specs i have to look at ... right now all i know is that i want to get rid of my 40 so that i can replace it with possibly a 120gig plz someone help

look like you have a dvd burner? so burn on dvd all you want to keep... that will solve it

stecks

oh i've done that sometime ago but not i'm not even sure if my PC will support the replacement of a new HD and the tossing of the one that's already in it... so pretty much to say is that i want more space cause even though i have a 40 it's just not big enough for me for what i like to do and at the time money wasn't an issue for getting a higher end pc that had a larger hd

Depending on how old the 40gig is your probably better off getting the new drive and doing a fresh install of everything. Then slave the old drive and copy and info off onto the new drive. You could also use a program like Norton Ghost to image everything over to a new drive.

Check your MoBo manufacturer to see what it supports.

stecks

i don't know how to check my MoBo
an thanks for the reply
but if i was to replace this drive i'd love to just get rid of it an use the larger for everything

Stecks,

If we are not talking about a Laptop here :confused: there is no reason why you can't install a second internal HD.

If it is only 120GB, then you will most likely be OK capacity-wise (limits) if you are running WinXP.

The big name HD guys provide installation utilities that will allow you to copy all the contents of the old drive to the new one. Then you can do whatever you want with the 40GB drive.

You do not have to burn the 40's data to CD/DVD as an interim step, unless you want to create another BU.

stecks

thanks Winbob... well i'd did the buring anyways cause i like to back all my stuff up .... and no we aren't talking about a laptop we are talking about a desktop with XP Home and i got it maybe almost a year ago

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online