1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a new headset/mic

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dumblonde, Nov 7, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dumblonde

dumblonde Thread Starter

I just bought a new headset with mic and I plugged it into the holes with the icon for each. I restarted the computer and have no sound nor able to record voice. I tried switching holes but it still doesn't work. I really am not sure just how to check it and the only instructions that came with it are troubleshooting but the trouble I am having doesn't fix with what they have listed.

2. deuce

deuce

Welcome to TSG!!

Is it mic and ear phone in the same plug? if so, you need a spliter so you can plug them into their appropriate jacks. They are about 50 cents or so at radioshack. (many things such as phones use them on the same 1/8 in mini plug)

3. dumblonde

dumblonde Thread Starter

The mic/headset has two ends to it. I tried unplugging the external speakers or think I did unplug them..LOL I have no sound now! anyway one end has a mic icon and I put it with the same on back of tower. the other has the headset icon and I put it in matching hole. This computer has two speakers on side of monitor. I unplugged them. I am wondering if its in the settings somewhere???

4. deuce

deuce

You shouldn't have to mess with settings with a mic. What kind of sound card do you have? If the icon is beside the jack, make sure you are plugged into the right jack. I sometimes put in it into the wrong one as looking at it upside down, (so I don't have to move it away from the desk) I think it corresponds to the right jack but it really is the left one. (or vice versa, I can never remember) On some sound cards there will be multiple outputs. (powered speakers, passive speakers, front, rear, headset, ect.) One problem could be that your sound card volume is turned down low and you were amplifying it on your speakers, so the volume is too low that you can't hear on the headset, and you could be in the powered speaker jack. Make sure the volume bar in the system tray is up loud enough.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/57968

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice