1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A new PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Woody., Jul 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Hey all,
    So my old computer has kicked the bucket unfortunately and I am getting a new one. I was wondering from the knoledgeable what kind of spec I should go for. I am a pretty big computer user. I do all the obvious such as emails, internet etc. but I also do a lot of standard photomanipulation, editing and photographing. Just so long as I can happily run programs such as photoshop with multiple other programs open without slowing down (RAM, duh). As for gaming I do do rather alot. Nothing ridiculous but I definately want to be able to play games with a high spec comfortably, tom clancy games, the new CoD4, MOH:A for example. As for pricing I don't really want to go over the £450 mark at tops. I know it's asking quite a lot but if any of you could help me out with chosing things such as graphics cards etc as well as what I'd need for processing power, it'd be much appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. I am NOT bothered about looks here, no neon lighting, I also don't overclock or anything of that nature.

2. Lotus4669

Lotus4669

Are you looking to build this yourself or buy pre-built?

3. Woody.

Woody. Thread Starter

Pre-built. I have custom built one before but I just cba with the hassle right now tbh.

4. tecknomage

tecknomage

You are really limiting your options with your price range.

My suggestions:
    • Use a mom-&-pop PC store, where you can talk face-to-face with a live technician, they also tend to be cheaper overall
    • 1024mb (1gb) RAM minimum
    • Intel P4 (of course)
    • A motherboard using the Intel chipset
    • As to on-board (aka in-built) video cards, some of these actually use your installed RAM, therefore you don't have your full memory usage
    • I prefer nVidia video cards (if you do not get on-board video), and remember the motherboard must support your choice (PCI, PCI Express, AGP, etc.)
    • Make sure you have your desired on-line hardware support on the motherboard (NIC/LAN and/or Modem)
    • Finally; OS, stay away from Vista at this point, go with WinXP Pro SP2 (see my reason below)

WHY NOT VISTA: One has to be aware of the release history of WinXP...
    • Original release, buggy
    • SP1 release, better
    • SP2 release, very stable
    Why should we expect anything different with Vista? Wait until Vista SP1 release before installing/upgrading.

5. playme123

playme123

have you had a look at ebuyer.co.uk some good deals there

6. Compiler

Compiler

I am not a DELL fan - and I am in the USA, so pricing and such is tricky... but here is what Dell has for £480 - which is VERY limited for wanting a "gaming" system.

Check it out: http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/inspn_531?c=uk&cs=ukdhs1&l=en&s=dhs
    (Price is without monitor, for them to add the low-end 8600GT, its just under 600.

It has 2GB of RAM which Vista really really needs... if you can get Dell to option to WindowsXP, go for it.

At least DELL has gone to ATX... If you want to play COD4 (I know its a console, don't know about PC) - You'll need a more powerful video card and PSU - which Dell won't offer. Like the 8800GTS and a 450~500watt PSU of good quality (OCZ, Antec, Thermaltake, Enermax)

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596506

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice