1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A newbie with SuSe

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by xico, Apr 28, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

Hmmm.... It actually sounds as if it tries to mount, but thinks there is not disc inside (you did change discs right?)

2. xico

xico Thread Starter

I've got 2 hard drives. The first is 40GBs; the second one 80GBs, divided into 2 partitions. LOL LOL You sound suprised Comprookie. No, like shocked? Styxx, on the 98 Board suggested using Partition Magic to uninstall SuSe--which Im going to do. But what mistakes did I make, cos I'll want to reinstall it on E, but not in the present configuration.

I got this version 7 of SuSe from CheapBytes.com, and it came in a box with the official manuels, etc. I don't think it's a bad copy. It's me, a bull in a china shop. (y) Obviously Im the slowest component. :eek:

I thought hdc was drive C. Thanks for the continuing input Whiteskin and Lynch. I seem to be at a dead end as far as this installation goes, but if I can pick up a few good commands for bash, maybe not. The help in bash is not very helpful--in fact, what's the proper command for shutting down the puter in bash. I typed in exit and there it sat. Nothing happened but a freeze up.

Thanks for your time and suggestions :D

3. lynch

lynch

To shut down in bash you need to be root or in a group that can do that, or you can be an sudoer.
    The command is:
    shutdown -h now
    The -h is halt .
    Linux sees drives on the primary and secondary controllers differently from windows:
    Linux sees:
    Primary master=hda
    Primary slave= hdb
    Secondary master= hdc
    Secondary slave=hdd
    Windows sees:
    Primary master=C:
    Primary slave= D:
    Secondary master= E:
    Secondary slave=F
    Unless theres more than one partition on a drive, then windows skips the above and does it on a first come- first serve basis, sort of. If I recall you can reassign the letters. :rolleyes:
    Linux would keep the original drive controller designation and add numbers for each partition, like hda1 and hda2.
    HTH
    lynch

4. Whiteskin

Whiteskin

PEBKAC. Anyhow. Just kidding. Your favorite comand will soon become "Man". Man brings up the manual page for 99% of your installed programs.

5. xico

xico Thread Starter

Thank you Guys! I'm grinning from ear to ear! Thank You! :D

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!