A problem can't seem to solve

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

AGuyWithProblems

Well recently I wiped my other computer's hard drive. Well it went as planned for the most part...until it booted up for first time. Mind you, it wouldn't be the first time I've done this so I'm pretty stumped on how to correct this little problem I have. Well here's the thing, after booting up after it was wiped, my comp's monitor remained a black screen and the CPU wouldn't cut off until I unplugged it. Upon restarting it, I was presented with the Bios screen, something I've never seen before on my computer. I pressed F1 to continue on into the welcome screen on did what I normally do, set up my internet. When I went online though and typed in the address bar, everything I typed was in double letters. (yyaahhoo..ccoomm) I re-wiped my computer and was again presented with the Bios screen and double letters. I've searched google now for a few hours and still haven't come up with a solution other than using the on-screen keyboard to type with.

Any help would be appreciated.

AGuyWithProblems

ehhh can someone help me?

Oh and I'm sorry for the double post but I really do need a solution for this.

AGuyWithProblems said:
C'mon can someone give any advice? At all?! Or is everyone else too busy...
You should take this time to familiarize yourself with the BIOS since you said you have never seen it before. Google items you do not understand. Try not to change anything.

Double lettering -- Let's go with the obvious first. Is the keyboard clean? If you hold it upside down, how many breadcrumbs fall out? :)

Next, swap out the keyboards if you have an extra one.

Next, Click Start> Control Panel>Other hardware Keyboard. Check the Character Repeat rates.

Mr. P

AGuyWithProblems

Well I've already all three things before coming here. I used 2 different keyboards and each produced the same little problem. Looking through the BIOS, I didn't see anything about the other peripherals, only the integrated ones (IE Sound). I have no clue what the deal is because the computer I'm using now and another one never did this.

Next, Click Start> Control Panel>Other hardware Keyboard. Check the Character Repeat rates.
I googled too. You're right. Not much out there on this topic. Only thing to do is back up and start over. If you're up for it, I'll riddle you with questions and maybe reveal an important piece of info. Or you can wait for someone else to help... Let's go through the troubleshooting in case the next person would benefit from our work.

Well recently I wiped my other computer's hard drive.
Why? What prompted this action? Just ot be clear, did you install this "other" drive into a new computer, or the original one?

Well it went as planned for the most part...until it booted up for first time. ... after booting up after it was wiped, my comp's monitor remained a black screen and the CPU wouldn't cut off until I unplugged it.
You unplugged the computer, the monitor, or the CPU?

Upon restarting it, I was presented with the Bios screen, something I've never seen before on my computer.
The BIOS screen appears for a reason. usu. means the startup process is interrupted. Could be nothing though. Might stop appearing after a few starts. Don't ask me why. Anyway, the BIOS is a suspect.

I pressed F1 to continue on into the welcome screen on did what I normally do, set up my internet. When I went online though and typed in the address bar, everything I typed was in double letters. (yyaahhoo..ccoomm).
Can you select>backspace to erase one of the extra letters?

I re-wiped my computer and was again presented with the Bios screen and double letters.
Yeah, well...let's not wipe the drive again. I am assuming you reloaded an OS too? Which one?

You siad you searched the web,a nd you are writing now, so I assume you are using your other "other" computer. :) Search and goto your BIOS site. See if you can find mention of the problem, or a gloassary of terms which might lead you to info about the keyboard.

Next, and I am shooting in the dark here ... maybe the keyboard driver is corrupted. Might want to reload that -- although with a new sys install that is probably not the culprit.

The BIOS, the keyboard and the driver are all suspects here. Are you reisntalling the smae OS as before?

Mr. P

AGuyWithProblems

The same OS indeed, Windows XP Service Pack 1. I myself suspect the BIOS. Apparently people have the same problem with Linux sometimes but I haven't seen anything about XP. Oh and when I select backspace, it does the same. It erases the two letters previously typed. I figured out a way to still type what I need to but it's really time consuming (on screen keyboard).

Oh sorry, I kinda ignored your first two questions. To address your first one, the computer has had the same drive since we've got it as well as the one I'm currently using to type this and both are the same model using the same OS. I wiped it's hard drive (my computer that has the issues) as a means to start over. There were many programs I had installed onto it and too many registry changes that it interfered with the startup process. I did however try and uninstall many of the programs I wasn't using but I believe a few of them still had registry entries still on the computer.

To address your second question, I unplugged the CPU.

btw, here's my BIOS Screen options that I can select. (somethings have been abbreviated)

Standard CMOS Features
Advanced BIOS Features
Advanced Chipset Features
Integrated Peripherals
Power Management Setup
PcP/PCI Configuration
PC Health Status
Load Fail-Safe Defaults
Load Optimized Defaults
Setup Supervisor Password
Setup User Password
Save & Exit Setup
Exit w/o saving

I must retire for th evening. I hope someone else can help you.

I would not feel comfortable removing a CPU to stop a computer. Power down will suffice.

Also, FDISK of a drive is not always the best choice, or the necessary choice. There are software products which can clean the registry.

With the info you have provided I believe you will soon have your answer. The keyboard has been swapped with a known good one. The problem repeats (which is always good in troubleshooting). I urge you also to take a break for day. Let other people come forward to respond.

Good luck,
Mr. P

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online