1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by HFJ, Mar 10, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Hello. Recently I started receiving the message "A problem is preventing the troubleshooter from starting." I have a Lenovo laptop and utilize Google Chrome. In addition, my Windows 7 updates now fail to load, my startup repair won't work, and even my System File Checker will not work. Also, my Picasa photos are gone (although most of them, through 2016, are in Google Photos.) Furthermore, my C Drive disk space rapidly disappears throughout the course of the day. I will have 600 MB or so of space in the morning, but by afternoon I receive a "Low Disk Space" notice. According to my Norton full scan, I have no viruses or problems. I tried CHKDSK, but it showed no problems. I tried to load the Microsoft Malicious Software Removal Tool (MSRT), but it wouldn't load. I tried restarting in just about every mode, including safe mode, debugging, and even last known good configuration. At this point, I can't figure out any other option but to reinstall Windows 7, which I don't really want to do. Thank you for reading this message.

2. Paul23

Paul23 Temporarily Banned

First Name:
    Paul
    Try going into Command Prompt (command line interface) ((run as administrator)) and type:
    sfc /scannow

3. blues_harp28

blues_harp28 Trusted Advisor

You need to free up some disk space [lots of it] if your pc is to run correctly.
    Move files and data to an external source, DVD, USB hard drive, etc.
    Let us have some Pc specifications.
    Check and post
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

4. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Hello. The laptop is a Lenovo Win7 PC B575 1450 64 bit with 4.0 GB (3.6 GB usable) and the processor is a AMD E-450 APU with Radeon(tm) HD graphics 1.65 GHz. Also, it has Windows 7 Home Premium with Service Pack 1.

5. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

One more thing I forgot to mention. It says the laptop's Windows Experience Index is a 3.9 (I guess out of 7.9) and needs to be refreshed. I don't really know how that matters to the laptop's performance.

6. blues_harp28

7. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

I have not done so yet. I have never done that before, and I was sort of afraid I might mess up and lose some data somehow. Could I easily transfer data to the D Drive? It is only about 20% full.

8. blues_harp28

It is always best to save any needed data and files to an external drive, away from the main pc.
    You can move files via Drag and Drop using Windows File Explorer.
    Or use a program like AOMEI to do it for you
    https://www.backup-utility.com/articles/transfer-files-from-c-drive-to-d-drive-3889i.html
    You can also use programs like AOMEI, to make an image of your hard drive to an external hard drive - this can be used if the hard drive fails.
    ======
    Please post the following.
    TSG System Information Utility - found here.
    http://static.techguy.org/download/SysInfo.exe

9. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Hello again. Today I tried to remove Adobe Acrobat Reader to make some room, but even that won't uninstall. It gives an "Error 1711" message. I am in my 50's, and I am not very handy with computers. I am thinking maybe I should just spend a few hundred dollars for a new laptop, but I am sort of used to this one. Supposedly, Microsoft has a "Fix-it" tool that solves this error, but it wouldn't even download because I don't have enough disk space. I will keep giving it the old college try.

10. blues_harp28

Your easiest method would be to buy a USB flash drive and drag and drop some of your data onto the flash drive, to free up the pc's hard drive.

A 128 GB flash drive can be bought for approximately £24.
    Type into a search engine "usb flash drive"

11. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Update - Yes, I will have to buy a USB flash drive, but I am afraid I will lose it like I lose sunglasses. I was able to delete the Adobe, only after I deleted two related smaller Adobe programs. That gave me 1.01 GB of free space, but a couple of hours later I got the "Low Disk Space" message and was down to 20 MB of free space.

12. blues_harp28

13. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Hello. I tried that, but less than halfway through it stalled and left a "could not perform operation" message.

14. HFJ

HFJ Thread Starter

Okay, I just ordered a Samsung 64 GB flash drive. It should arrive in a couple of days. Now I just have to figure out which of the 254 GB on my C Drive to transfer to it. I have never done that previously.

15. blues_harp28

(y) Keep us updated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1206484

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice