A problem that no one can seem to solve... help?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

LordTerrin

I hope the title doesn't turn anyone off to reading this. I think the person who can solve my problem should win... some huge award, as I have yet to find someone can help me... ^_^

Here we go,

About 6 months ago, I got windows XP, and built myself a new computer. Before that, I had been using DSL provided by Earthlink, and I continue to use it to this day. My problem started a few months after I got my computer, and it's kinda hard to describe. The best way to describe the problem is "getting disconected from the Internet every 10 seconds for 1 milisecond." I use a router, so I never actually 'connect' to Earthlink to get to the internet, I am always on, but it seems as though I get short lapses in my internet, causing me to
- be kicked off aim every 5 seconds,
- have to refresh a lot of webpages becuase they just don't load, or they load for a sec then IE gives me an error saying it couldn't find the server, or that the page could not be found, (the detect network settings page)
- get booted from all multiplayer games
- spend hours on the phone with the motherboard company, network card company, ISP, all to no avail. Generally it happens when I am on AIM, (aol instant messenger) and I can still see people online, but when I try to check their profiles, I get a "Please wait......" sign, and I eventually get a window from AIM that says I've been disconnected and it has to reconnect. Lately, it's been happening so often I can barely get one sentence in to somone before I get disconected. Likewise, when I am surfing the web, or downloading files, I often click on a link and get an error that the page doesn't exist, so I retry, and it works fine. Or when I'm downloading a file I'll get an error message that file "connection with server reset" and I have to try'n download the file again.

My computer specs are as follows,
---------------
AMD Athlon 1.2ghz on a Shuttle AK12 Motherboard
Netgear FA310TX, (I have also tried the 311)
D-Link DI-804 Router

As far as I know, neither AMD nor Shuttle has updates for their processor/motherboard, and Netgear has no updates for the FA310TX. I'm not sure about the D-Link router.

I think that's all you should need to know about the setup.
----------------

I never techincally LOSE connection to the point where I'd have to reconnect, (maybe I do and my router just reconnects for me automatically) but this problem is literally driving me insane. I have changed network cards, reformatted my computer, and tried different OSes. To make things even more complicated, I have 3 other computers in the house, and none of them have problems, or at most, they have problems VERY rarely with wierd disconections.

My friend said he thought it might be a problem with the way my motheboard is communicating with my network card under windows XP, but... I dunno.... I built the computer myself, it's the 7th one I have built, so I know I did everything, and made all the right settings. Perhaps there is something about Shuttle Ak12 motherboards and XP that I don't know.

Any help that anyone could give would really really help. I'm pretty much at the end of the line... I'm about ready to just throw this computer away and build a new one... I'm serious... This has been going on for like 6 months, and I can't take it anymore!

I realize this is lengthy, but I really want to give a good description of my problem. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help!

Brian

Have you got a UPS? The symptoms you describe could be down to a momentary fluctuation in the power supply. I would get one and connect both the PC and the router to it. Are the other PCs that aren't affected on the same ring main? If they are it could be a fault with the PC or router's own PSU.

Other than that it has to be a process of elimination. Start with the physical hardware, including the cable and the port on the router, and try swapping out for known good items. Exhaust all those possibilities, then update all relevant drivers etc.

Does the router do DHCP? Its a long shot but check that the DHCP lease period isn't set incorrectly (to 10 seconds).

Do you have any other devices on this network segment that may be broadcasting and saturating the network bandwidth for a ms every 10 seconds? Or any other software on the PC that might be doing the same?

hey there
I've had same exact problem with my DSL service ( I had Verizon, not Earthlink..) I did pretty much everything you've described in your post, plus pulled out a few hairs out and few other things along the way... :eek: FRUSTRATING AS HELL !!! to make a long story short, I called tech support at V-zon , did all the standard troublshooting, etc, etc..and then the tech said he would have to escalate my problem to one of the network techs. So the guy calls me the next day, we do all the steps over again and he concludes everyting is set up ok on my side and that he will have to call me back..long story short, I got a call back saying that it is a 'intermitent sync problem'...basically the problem was the signal was "intermitently" being "bumped" by the heavy interference on the line which caused the connection to fall out of sync...go figure. I did look into it later and actually found out that the phone line outside my house was getting heavy feedback from the power lines right next to it...it didnt affect the regular phone system but it apparently caused problems with DSL...

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online