A problem with dialup connection

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

MorrisAO

A friend of mine who connects to the net via a dialup connection has been having problems with being knocked off-line when he tries to access or send email, yet has not been having probs with viewing webpages. He has said his phone line is a bit dicey at present, so it's possible that might have something to do with it. But it seems strange that it only appears to happen when he tries to download or send email. I don't remember having run across this particular problem myself before.

He runs Windows 2000, and uses Outlook Express.

Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks in advance if you do. :)

It's a strange problem which happened also with me,when I used to connect via DialUp.What's the reason behind it?Is it something associated with ports?I also want to know the answer.

If more than one dial-up connection setup exists on the PC (even for the same ISP) then check that both the email program that you use and the browser use the same connection.

Otherwise if you are logged into the browser connection and you initiate an email session with your email program, it will immediately terminate the existing session and dial-up again using the connection set for the email program.

Its not an uncommon event when a separate (but often identical) connection is set up.

I had a similar issue some time ago and solved it this way, hope it works for your friend.

In the task bar at the top of the outlook express page, click on the send/recieve box.
Make sure the "Hang up when finished" box is not checked.

Good luck.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online