1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a question about computer case fans.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by blackecho, Jan 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. blackecho

blackecho Thread Starter

i am wanting to purchase an extra fan for my computer, but the thing is, i don't know what kind of fan to get or how to hook and or plug them up. any ideas or suggestions or links? i already have a really good power supply fan and cpu fan but i need to get one just to circulate air around inside the case. Thankxz!

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

If your computer is fairly recent, you probably have a secondary fan connector, or perhaps two. If you want one additional fan, the preferred location is high in the rear exhausting air. If you connect it to the MB connector, you can also monitor it's speed and even control the speed for sound moderation if full speed is not needed. A standard 80mm fan is the most common size.

3. John Sparkman

John Sparkman

Just one thing to add to what johnwill had to say.
    Get a fan with "Ball" type bearings and not the "sleave" type bearings. The fans that use ball bearings last longer and are quieter.

John

4. dannyboyfx

dannyboyfx

fans will either have a connection with 2-4 prongs in it, the conncector will look like the one going to the floppy drive except smaller.

5. iamnafets

iamnafets

Might I suggest bringing a fan that fits into the connector with you to the store? Also, measure out the size of fan that can fit your case. Buy the biggest, lowest RPM fan that both connects to your motherboard and fits in your case. That's all there is to it!

6. McTimson

McTimson

Well, if your motherboard doesn't have any more fan headers, you can just get a simple 3 pin to 4 pin adapter, and plug into a molex connector from ypur power supply. You could even make one yourself if you felt like it...the only disadvatage to this is that you don't get the RPM monitoring feature of many fans.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/199858

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice