1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question about emachines.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Skivvywaver, Oct 14, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Skivvywaver

Skivvywaver Thread Starter

I already know they are a POS for the most part but are the bios on these critters locked? I have one coming to the house on Saturday for some work and if it is possible to changes some things like memory timings and multipliers it might help me out.
    I will know about 2 minutes after it comes in the door what I am up against but I am hoping somebody can give me a little insight of what to expect other than the "oh no" I am already feeling. ;)

2. gotrootdude

gotrootdude

Your "oh no" feeling is probably correct.. Defrag it, disable unneeded services and startup programs. De-spyware, de-virus it and let it go..

3. winbob

winbob

It is possible that you may get a surprise! There have been some magazine articles of late that have said that have Emachines improved their quality basically due to the bad reputation they had garnered. So perhaps your machine will be 'Post POS' ???

4. alwrmc

alwrmc

First Name:
    B.L.
    Take another look at eMachines. They are no longer POS. They rank right in there with Dell, HP etc. They are generally budget machines but I bought one for my wife last Christmas that blows my machine away! I checked the MB and the various components and they were all good to excellent! The parts/components are generally mainstream and easy to work with.

5. Skivvywaver

Just an update. The thing was 'decent' and not too bad to work on. Still show signs of cheapness but to be honest it wasn't that bad. I still wouldn't buy one, well for that matter I wouldn't buy anybody's machine at this point but it really was decent.

6. jbcalg

jbcalg

doesn't sound like you need it but here's a good (unofficial) site for emachines, lots of info that's difficult/impossible to find on the emachine site: http://www.e4allinc.info/

got one a few months ago for the family room, replaced a 200mmx that went south, amd2600, 80gb drive etc etc, came bundled with a 17" monitor and HP printer
    - around CDN$500 all told
    - works fine, had to rma it for a new motherboard (acpi compliance thing), took 10 days back and forth but they picked up the courier costs

pretty lean and mean in spots but a decent enough machine for the price and what it's used for (high speed solitaire :))

7. Skivvywaver

LOL, Yeah I bet it smokes at solitaire. Really I couldn't find anything I hated about the machine. It was weak compared to what I am used to but it was a decent machine. Not too bad at all.:)

8. photolady

photolady

I hope they changed the mobo's they use. ;) Last I heard/saw they were using ECS boards.....:(

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/284757

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice