1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

a question about finding win 8.1

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by reble, Sep 14, 2017.

Advertisement
  1. reble

reble Thread Starter

This Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop that I got in March of this year from a pawn shop. Had an oem Win 8.1 os installed. The laptop didn't come with os disks. I was having problems figuring out how to use 8.1 so I wiped the hard drive and installed Win7 Home 32bit that I got at a store. I am hearing that dell is not supporting Win7 Home any more. I also heard that there is a non oem win 8.1 available for free to down load. Does anyone know were I can find it?

2. Sponsor

3. metallica5456

metallica5456 Andrew Trusted Advisor

If you want the Windows 8.1 my best advice would be to contact the OEM and get a recovery disk set to reinstall the 8.1. However, you may be able to reinstall 8.1 again by downloading it from the Microsoft website. The issue will be Activation. You may it may not be able to activate the copy because it would be a retail version and not an OEM one. However, I wouldn't go that route. I would simply install Windows 10 and be done with it. I would purchase a copy of Windows 10 Home 64-bit, install it, and call it a day. 8.1 was , imho, ALMOST as bad as Windows Vista. (Shudders) ROFL

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

This is probably relevant to you only if you desire to buy a new PC with Windows 7.

The important issue for you right now is whether Windows 7 is working satisfactorily for you on this particular PC. If it is, then the second consideration is that Microsoft stops support for it early 2020.

If you do go back to Windows 8.1 please take a look at my Windows 8.1 Tutorial. FWIW (very little!) my opinion is that Windows 10 belongs in the ME-VISTA-8 line, only worse than those. Windows 8.1 belongs with 2k Pro-XP-7. :D

HyperHenry and metallica5456 like this.
  5. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

Advise us what the exact "service tag" number and "express service code" number on that Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop is.

Once it's correctly identified and its support site is located, we should know which Windows version it originally came with and what hardware specs it came with.

It appears to have full driver support for Windows 7 64-bit and Windows 8.1 64-bit and Windows 10 64-bit.

It has a single SODIMM slot and supports a maximum of 8 GB of DDR3 RAM.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. reble

reble Thread Starter

The service tag number is 1H09B32. The "express service code" number I didn't write down and I would have to shut down the laptop, unplug all the cords so I can turn the laptop over and get it. Will the service tag number do? or do you need the "express service code" as well?

7. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

According to that service tag number, you have THIS Dell Inspiron 3541 laptop.
    It shipped in November 2015 in the U.S.A. and came with Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit and came with these specs:
    AMD A6-6310 APU 1.80 GHz quad core processor
    4 GB(4 GB X 1) DDR3-1600 RAM
    500 GB SATA III hard drive
    DVD+/-RW disc drive
    AMD Radeon R4 graphics
    Realtek ALC3223 high definition audio
    Dell Wireless 1705
    Realtek RTL8106E/8111G-US ethernet

If that laptop is running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit okay and all of its devices are working okay, there's no compelling reason for you to switch back to Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit if you don't like using it.
    Windows 7 will be supported by Microsoft until January 2020 - which is more than 2 years away.
    If you decide to switch back to Windows 8.1 Home 64-bit, go HERE and then follow the instructions for obtaining and creating a bootable USB recovery drive for it.
    You should also be able to purchase the recovery media disc kit for it from HERE.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited: Sep 16, 2017 at 9:59 AM
    metallica5456 likes this.
  8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!