A Question About Folder In C:\WINDOWS

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I've got a folder with the name $hf_mig$ which contains 40 folders that are each named KB(followed by 6 digits).

I've already deleted all the $NtUninstallKB123456$ folders and the KB123456.log files from C:\WINDOWS, and have also deleted all the Windows XP hotfix entries from Add/Remove Programs.

Is this folder safe to delete?:confused:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I wouldn't - basically you can then be installing older versions of the same file with a new hotfix that gets applied.

Read here - Ripped directly from the MS site.

When a security update, critical update, update, update rollup, driver, or feature pack installs GDR version files, the hotfix files are also copied to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder. This supports migration to the appropriate files if you later install a hotfix or service pack that includes earlier versions of these files. For example, consider the following scenario: 1. You apply a security update that installs a GDR version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 and copies a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.1000 to the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder.
2. You apply a hotfix that includes a hotfix version of File.dll with a version number of 5.2.3790.0000.
In this scenario the hotfix installation in step 2 installs the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.1000) from the %windir%\$hf_mig$ folder instead of the hotfix version of File.dll (version number 5.2.3790.0000) from the hotfix package.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
Thanks for the quick reply. I was just curious about it. I'll leave it alone.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online