A Question About Maximum Supported RAM Amount

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I have a 5 - 6 year old Compaq Presario 5900T desktop with an Intel Pentium III 733 MHz processor and Windows XP SP2. The last BIOS update for it was released in 03-06-2001 and is installed.

According to the HP and Crucial site, the maximum supported amount of RAM is 384 MB. The Crucial site does make note that a BIOS update can alter that amount.

According to the Kingston and MemoryX sites, the maximum supported amount of RAM is 768 MB.

I currently have 320 MB of RAM(128 - 128 - 64) in this computer. Because I now have Windows XP SP2 in it instead of Windows 98SE, I would like to increase the RAM amount to 512 MB by replacing the 64 MB module with a 256 MB module.

Does anyone out there have personal knowledge if this computer does support 768 MB of RAM before I go through the trouble and expense of buying and installing a 256 MB module?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hmm.... If it where me personally, I would go with the 384 max that HP gave you... I think it would be a bit risky upgrading it any higher than, especially if your not 100% certain..

I've been wondering about the same thing. My Win 98 machine has three slots, and the Mobo manual says 384 MB max. However, I wonder if that is because when the mobo was made, 128 was the biggest stick of RAM available. I have 384 MB in that machine, but if I ever get hold of a 256 MB stick of RAM to fit it, I will experiment...

well on older boards you have dual sidded and single sidded ram my other pc had up to 786 somthing in it if i put all single sidded dimms in it. were you can use all 3 slots say you have 3 or if you have 4 only can use 2 with double sidded dimm were single sidded can use all slots.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
If I recall, the original 64 MB module that came with this computer is double-sided, and the 2 - 128 MB modules that were added afterwards are single-sided. There's plenty of room between the slots, so having all 3 modules double-sided wouldn't be an issue.

The computer is running fine with 320 MB, so I may just leave it as it is. I have another ancient desktop that uses the same type 128 MB modules, so I may replace the 64 MB module in this one with one from the other one when it dies, which will get it up to 384 MB.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

well i had a amd compaq that was 5-6 years old and before it bit the dust from bad powersupply it had 1 gig of ram. but that was after finding the right combination.

I found a 800 mhz pentium 3 dell i bought for 5$ all it will take is 768 ram and it is still slower with winxp pro sp2 then i care to stand. its stable, but still tooo slow

its not a space thing flav its amount of memory banks or somthing the older motherboards can handle.

Why not test it neways. Most retailers have pretty go return policy where they wont charge you a restocking fee. Try it out, and if it doesnt work return it.

flavallee

Frank
Trusted Advisor
I'm considering buying a 256 MB module from "Best Buy" or "Staples" and testing it, unless I find someone in my computer club who has one lying around for me to try.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online