1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A Question About Non-Windows Operating System

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by flavallee, Jul 27, 2018.

Advertisement
  1. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Saves a bunch of time to test needed things (such as networking) with the Live bootable DVD; then if desired you can go ahead and install without rebooting.

Possibly that ethernet is "too old." Could try older Linux distros or, better, a newer USB ethernet or wireless adapter.

2. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    Linux can use different software to generate the desktop.
    I think Cinnamon uses more resources than Mate and Mate uses more than Xfce but any should work.

Could be your Optiplex is too old as Terry said, if so Wary Puppy Linux is good for older hardware, you can get the iso (which is all you need) here :- http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/wary-5.5/

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor Thread Starter

First Name:
    Frank
    Terry:
    This Dell OptiPlex 780 minitower has an integrated Intel 82567LM-3 gigabit ethernet device.
    However, I prefer to use it with a Realtek RTL8812AU 802.11ac USB3 wireless adapter.
    Both devices have drivers for and work fine with Windows XP through Windows 10.

Allan:
    I bought it refurbished in 2016, but it was purchased new in 2009 or 2010.
    I've installed and run Windows 7 Pro SP1 64-bit and Windows 10 Pro RS4 64-bit in it.
    There's been no issue with drivers automatically installing during the setup process, or with me finding and installing drivers afterwards.

If I'm not busy this weekend, I may give Linux Mint a try.

----------------------------------------------------------------

4. lochlomonder

lochlomonder

Frank,
    You're comparing apples with oranges here, though. Just because there are drivers for Windows-based operating systems, it doesn't follow by necessity there will be for a Linux-based distro.

5. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Yeah, I know that.

6. 2twenty2

2twenty2

Not quite the same Dell Optiplex 780 mini-tower as yours but........
    Tried out Linux Mint 19 running from dvd. Ran on mine ok (I didn't install it, just ran from dvd)

OS Version: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro, 64 bit v-1803 Build-17134.191
    Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q9650 @ 3.00GHz, Intel64 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 10
    Processor Count: 4
    RAM: 15293 Mb
    Graphics Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 710, 1024 Mb 1D3H LP PCIe
    Intel 82567LM-3 Gigabit Network
    Hard Drives: C: 297 GB (260 GB Free); E: 149 GB (148 GB Free); G: 232 GB (232 GB Free)
    Motherboard: Dell Inc., 0C27VV / ServiceTag#: 8Y5CVL1
    Antivirus: Windows Defender, Enabled and Updated
    Dell Optiplex 780 MT

Last edited: Aug 2, 2018
  7. tecknurd

tecknurd

Linux Mint should work OK. The three downloads are different desktop environments. Desktop environments are a way how to interact within GUI or to be more precise with X Windows System. The desktop environment KDE feels more like Windows. Older versions of KDE acted like Windows XP. Newer versions of KDE feel like Vista. Another desktop environment is LXDE that is light-weight on resources and looks like Windows XP. After you installed Linux, you can add more desktop environments to try them out.

About the word Linux. Linux is the kernel. Technically, Linux should be called GNU/Linux or GNU+Linux.

About the Intel 82567LM-3, Linux does have support for it, but the latest version of the kernel may have dropped support for it. Bringing over the source code from the older kernels and compile it with the latest kernel won't work. The framework from each major version is vastly different. Linux Mint uses 4.xx kernel version. Also, each Linux distribution selects hardware what most people are using when compiling the kernel. The kernel does support a lot of hardware but has to select them to be compiled when compiling the kernel.

You can try to do a search within Linux by doing "find /usr/lib/modules -iname e1000e.ko" at the command line. You can get access to the command line in different ways. One is hit CTRL+ALT+F1 and type your username and password. Another way is while in GUI load up gnome-terminal, xterm, rxvt, or konsole. You don't require to use sudo to scan the /usr/lib/modules. Some distributions may use a different location where they place the modules. Modules in Linux is the same as drivers in Windows.

Using wifi in Linux is horrible. I can't give you straight advice on how to set it up. It's different how each wifi module works and for each distribution. You have to first install wifi utilities. Wifi utilities are only the tip of the iceberg of setting up wifi in Linux. If you want to use wifi the easy way in Linux, it's best to use an ethernet to wifi bridge or access point. A wifi router can be converted into an ethernet to wifi bridge.

Since you tried Ubuntu and it didn't support your NIC, there's no point using Linux Mint. You may want to try Puppy Linux. Select Puppy Linux that uses kernel versions 2.6.x or 2.8.x.

If you want to use the latest kernel or Linux and you don't mind opening up your computer, I suggest Startech ST1000SPEX2. For PCI NIC, Startech ST1000BT32.

After using Linux for several years daily on my desktops, there is no easy Linux distribution. I didn't use Windows XP. I used Linux during that time.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    If anyone here is familiar with it, what's your thought on Linux Netrunner Rolling 2018.08?
    It appears to be a good choice for non-Windows beginners like me.
    And it has the Firefox Quantum 61 browser - which I prefer to use.

9. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    I had a quick look at it Frank and it's pretty good. (Running it on my trusty old Dell 1545 laptop).
    It had drivers for the Wifi and Ethernet and Firefox works well. The whole thing is quite 'snappy' too.
    I didn't install it though, just ran it live from a Usb stick using Easy2Boot and the netrunner-rolling-2018.08-64bit.ISO file.

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Thanks, Allan.

---------------------------------------------------------------

11. managed

managed Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Allan
    You're welcome Frank.

12. Miqw7394

Miqw7394

First Name:
    Mike
    @ Frank:-

I don't get on here often, but I'll add my twopenn'orth:-

Re: Wireless USB. Are you absolutely sure that's RTL8812AU? I'm fairly familiar with most Realtek devices (and that's the chipset designation, BTW, not the make/model of your USB adapter). There is no mention of that chipset 'suffix' anywhere in the Realtek listings, with one exception (the RTL8723AU); it's much more likely to be the RTL8812EU instead.

Common Realtek suffixes include
    EU
    EUS
    CU
    CUS
    CE
    CS
    DE
    DU, and
    DS.

Re: Drivers.

Normally, all drivers are taken care of by the Linux kernel; at present, it's somewhere in the region of 95% nothing BUT drivers. You do NOT need to hunt around for device drivers in Linux; if you have something that won't run OOTB, it's either something very, very odd.....or it's a Broadcom wireless chipset (their Linux support is absolutely non-existent, and most available drivers have been compiled from the source code by other exasperated Linux users!).

However, as stated previously here, even the kernel eventually drops support for older hardware....though I'd be surprised if yours wasn't supported. My elderly, Athlon64 X2-powered Compaq desktop from 2005 runs Puppy Linux full-time as its 'daily-driver'.....and absolutely every piece of hardware on the MSI mobo is still supported.

In point of fact, I'm running a 'kennels' of around 14 assorted 32- and 64-bit Puppies at present (they're very small, as well as being highly addictive!), with kernels ranging from the elderly 3.0.66 all the way up to the fairly recent 4.9.58......and every one of them supports every piece of my hardware.

(*shrug*)

As for which 'distro' (that's what they're known as, short for 'distribution'), that's almost impossible to answer. My personal journey took me from XP to Ubuntu, with short detours via Zorin, Mint, TinyCore, Knoppix, and PCLinux, to the present-day, and my 'love-affair' with Puppy, which has been going on for nearly 5 years now. Everybody goes through a 'distro-hopping' phase, until they find the one that's just perfect for them.....and if you can't find THAT with Linux, you're either blind, or not trying very hard..!

It's all about personal choice, and the range is vast. I don't know of one that won't run Quantum, though; we even have it running in the many Puppies available......and 'Puppy' is considered to be 'weird' even by Linux standards! I'm a long-term Chrome user, ever since the first beta, pre-release version went available for public evaluation back in Autumn 2008, who ditched Firefox due to the continuous crashing in those days. These days I use Quantum just as much as Chrome, I'm that impressed with it. It's what Firefox should have been years ago, were it not for the never-ending in-fighting amongst the Mozilla devs... :rolleyes:

Everybody will recommend their favourite, Frank. You have to try 'em out for yourself (easy with LiveCD/DVDs), and make your own mind up.

Mike. ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2018 at 7:04 PM
  13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Mike:

My USB 3.0 wireless adapter is a Netis WF2190 AC1200 which has a Realtek RTL8812AU chipset.

USB\VID_0BDA&PID_8812

Frank

--------------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1213609

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice