1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question about power supplies

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Jeffair10, Jul 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Jeffair10

Jeffair10 Thread Starter

Hi, I am new to this forum and have already found quite useful. Thanks :eek:
    So I have a friends emachine (T2792)that is completely dead; no lights, sound or fans. He said one day it just wouldn't power on. So I do the reasonable thing and go to the local puter shop and get a replacement P/S. I get it home open it up, and notice that she sold me a 24 pin ATX which is not what I need.. I am replacing the Bestec ATX 250 12E which has a 20 pin connector. Now I think that I know the answer : that one can not use a 24 pin PS on a 20 pin board, right?
    Well it just so happens that I have an older ATX P/S that does not have the P4 12v connector. Is it possible to use the 12v connector from the dead P/S on the older P/S? Where can I get the +12v needed?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated of course. NO doubt I may just have to fork out $50 to get a OEM replacement, but that will take too much time.... Thanks

~ Jeff

2. KingCody

KingCody

most 24 pin power supplies have a removeable 4 pin connector at the end that allows it to be used on a 20 pin mobo. and if it doesn't, then you can just buy a cheap adapter like this one:
    [​IMG]

3. Jeffair10

Jeffair10 Thread Starter

Thanks KingCody, the adapter has been ordered. Bummer I just can't go to Circuit City and get one....:D

4. DCM1519

DCM1519

Radio Shack may have them. Might save a wait.

5. Rumpo-Stiltskin

Rumpo-Stiltskin

Or, you could just return the new PSU you bought and buy one that has a 20-pin ATX connector (most decent PSUs have an interchangeable 20/24 pin connector anyway).
    Those adapters can be a weak link - representing another two unnecessary joints in the power supply path.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/483476

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice