1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

A question about triple booting and/or partitions?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by crazlunatic, Dec 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crazlunatic

crazlunatic Thread Starter

Hi. My first question is:
    1) Can you install and boot XP on a logical partition (if I remember correctly a logical partition is inside of an extended)

2) Is it possible to triple boot with XP as one of the OS. The other two OS use the Vista bootloader, so would I have to install XP first then? Because if I don't install XP first, I could always run BCDEditor or VistaBootPro in XP right?

Thanks for your help.

2. CouchMaster

CouchMaster

If I'm not mistaken both Vista and XP need primary partitions - but that's no problem; I think you can have 4 primary partitions on a hard drive.
    I don't know anything about the Vista boot loader but the boot loader called GRUB will boot as many operating systems as you like - http://www.justlinux.com/forum/showthread.php?t=147959&highlight=boot+100
    I have booted up to 20 myself and it works great..
    Good Luck

3. bbearren

bbearren

XP can boot from a logical partition.

4. crazlunatic

how do I boot XP off a logical?

Also, when using Vista's disk management tool, it seems to create an extended and a logical no matter what I do and won't let me create 4 partitions. Is there any thing I can do without having to use Gparted? (Because i hate it)

5. bbearren

bbearren

Install XP on a logical drive.
    In XP it can be done with Disk Management (but you can't do anything to the system drive). I'm not familiar with Vista. Perhaps someone else can answer that.

6. crazlunatic

I did install XP on a logical partition, but then during install, when the machine boots, I don't even get to the bootloader screen.

I just get stuck at the part where it tells me to push any key to boot. When this happens, I have to insert my Vista CD and run Startup Repair

7. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

That is probably correct - do -it and it should rebuild the start up and create a new start menu including the new XP

If it doesn't pick up the new one you can run BCeditor

8. crazlunatic

I'm not sure how the XP installation works, but I think it restarts once, and then continues installation for 30 more minutes. The problem is when it restarts, it does not go through that 30 minute installation process.

Once I run Startup Repair, I can boot into Windows Vista or Windows 7 fine, but cannot boot into the Windows XP disk in any way. It's not in the bootloader list either. Once you boot into 7 or Vista, you'll see a few MB taken up in a logical partition.

9. DaveBurnett

DaveBurnett Account Closed

Ah I see!! I thought you had it completed.
    Can you not add it to the list with BCDEditor (I've not used it so I can't give advice on that)

The way I do these things is by cheating and using a third party boot/disk manager.

I just tell my boot manager to "delete" the partitions with all the other versions on so that the new install only "sees" the partition I am installing to.
    Then when it is finished I reinstall the boot manager code and tell it to "undelete" the partitions and add the new version to its list.

I have one disk with six different versions of Windows plus one Linux on it (all in Primary partitions - and can choose any 4 from 7 to actually see/boot from at boot time.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/784026

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice